Please tell me it's okay to cut the mast

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Please tell me it's okay to cut the mast

Postby calden » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:17 pm

Hey all:

After figuring out how to step the keel-stepped mast on my DS1 by myself, I spent a day making a prototype tripod which attaches to the front of the boat. I was thinking that if I had a fulcrum point about 6-8' above and a bit in front of the partner, I could single-handedly rest the mast on it, then push and slide it up and then get the mast in myself. Basically like hoisting it and dropping it vertically, but with some support above the lifting point. It's actually very clever, but I had not counted on the huge levered forces involved. I set this up in the front yard and tried it, but simply couldn't push down on the mast enough to raise the front - the weight required was much more than the 25-odd lbs. weight of the mast . We know this thanks to Mr. Archimedes, but I didn't do physics in school. So, great invention scrapped, and I will surely need to hinge the mast. I need to believe I can go sailing all on my own.

I've read every post here related to this procedure, and I know it's a standard procedure, but I still feel funny slicing this thing. I also can't help but believe that there's some structural price to pay.

I know that in the possibility of dismasting a hinged mast would save the cuddy structure, so that's a plus.

Comments on pros and cons welcome.

Thanks,
Carlos
calden

Postby wharfside » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:48 pm

even with a hinged mast I find it hard if not impossible to raise by myself
I need to have the stern side higher so the point were the boom attaches does not impact the top of the cabin
right now I need it held up until I can set the back tabernacle pin
once that is installed I can lift it till the stays tighten and straighten it out
I use the jib halyard to help raise it
1992 Sunfish Laser Daysailer #14002
1984 26' Bertram Sport Convertible
2004 12' Carolina Skiff
wharfside

Postby michaelyogi » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:10 am

This is exactly why I had a custom tabernacle made. Now I can pin the mast at the tabernacle while the mast is supported by the mast cradle. Then the shrouds are connected, forward stay is only connected at the mast at this time. This allows me, alone, to then raise the mast.
When the mast is up, as long as I keep tension on the forward stay, the mast and shrouds form a stable structure. I can then fix the forward stay. I need to keep the tension on though. It's a critical manuever, but it works. If you got a fax I can send you a line drawing of the tabernacle with measures.
Oh, the tabernacle is on a 2" thick piece of teak that has been leveled to the waterline with thickened epoxy, which also fills in the hole in the cuddy top and the space between the cuddy underside and the top of the compression post. Makes a solid interface between mast tabernacle and the comperssion post.
Does this all make sense?
michaelyogi

Postby michaelyogi » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:14 am

By the way, my mast was already cut, but the PO cut the top of the mast off :? . If I did it I think I'd cut the bottom. Be sure to put the "shoe" back in the "new"bottom
michaelyogi

Postby calden » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:36 am

[quote="michaelyogi"]By the way, my mast was already cut, but the PO cut the top of the mast off :? . If I did it I think I'd cut the bottom. Be sure to put the "shoe" back in the "new"bottom[/quote]

Michaelyogi:

Not sure what you mean by this. I'm still new to sailing and all the gear. I'd also like to see that drawing you have of the tabernacle system. If you could scan it and send me a jpg that'd be great - I don't have a fax but could get something at the nearby UPS store.

Thanks,
Carlos
calden

cutting mast.

Postby captainseasick » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:00 am

If you cut your mast, you have ruined your boats ability to race. The mast stepped on the keel, allows proper bending that helps put the correct shape in your mainsail. Sailboat racing is every bit as enjoyable as golf, or other activities where people keep score, and requires completely different skills from simply cruising or daysailing. While all these activities are enjoyable, the group experience of racing your Daysailer can be the best fun you can have with this boat. Once you cut the mast, or paint the bottom badly, or allow your sails to flutter untill all the resin and fibre's break down, and the sail blows out of designed shape, or leave your sails unprotected from sunlight when not in use, or if you add gear or hardware that signifigently increases the boats weight, you are shutting a door to being able to successfully compete in your boat. If you don't like group activities, or competition, think of the next owner. Adding what appear to be "improvments" that disable the boats ability to sail as well as possible should be carefully considered in my opinion.
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Postby michaelyogi » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:49 am

I'll see what I can do, Carlos. I've got the gear to do that, but the skill!? I'll figure it out. I'm leaving real soon to go sailing in Canada so it might be a week or two. Hope that works...
The gentleman in the above reply has a point. If your into the group thing, or keeping score, or just keeping just ahead of the Jones' you need to consider what you do to your boat. Lots of rules and regs to follow...
Like I said, my mast was already cut down, the tabernacle installed and she was a neglected hulk when I got her. Plus I'm more of an adventurer, the masses don't generally do what I do or go where I go. Believe me sailing in the Strait of Georgia this time of year is rather adventurous and the crowds are gone 8) .
michaelyogi

Postby calden » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:02 am

Michael:

Thank you for the considered advice. Although I did ask for support in cutting the mast, I really need to hear the other side, too. If I alter the boat I want to be sure I know what I'm doing.

I can't imagine myself racing - there's no fleet anywhere near me (well, within 280 miles,) I don't have the time to make sailing a huge time investment, I want to be spending more time with family, I like toodling about exploring coves and such, etc. etc. But I never know what path I'll take in a couple of years, and I do have a competitive streak in me.

Carlos
calden

Postby Mike M. » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:55 am

My mast was already cut and everything installed by a previous owner. I wouldn't trade for anything. I can step the mast alone and all the rigging but the forestay is already in place and ready to go. I'm not a racer, never have been and don't intend too. I enjoy the sailing but want to be able to do it when I want...not just when I have someone who can help raise the mast. A friend in OKC has a full length mast like you and manages to lift and step it alone but says it is very tricky and sometimes difficult. I wouldn't like that.

That's my story and I sticking to it :D
Mike Miller
DS I #3780
"Patty K"
Central Oklahoma
Mike M.

Postby KHFlanagan » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:44 am

Carlos - Instead of modifying your mast, see if there is a racer out there who has a two-piece mast that might be willing to trade with you. That might be a lot less trouble.
Kevin
Columbus, OH
KHFlanagan

Postby calden » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:48 am

Trade the mast! What a great idea. Great suggestion!

I'm a 4-hour drive from Seattle and a 5.5-hour drive from Portland. This could work!

Any offers out there?

Carlos
calden

Postby BKelleher » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:53 pm

Way back when I was going to cut my 1 piece mast and have now decided to leave it in one piece. With some practice and balance, I discovered it is not too hard to get the mast vertical while the boat is on the trailer. I believe there are several posts on techniques elsewhere in the forums. If you trailer sail and are reluctant to cut the mast, you may find it may not be necessary if you follow the tips in the forum. I was inspired by a 60ish gentleman who still raises his mast (no pharmaceutical jokes please) solo who told me to persevere.
BKelleher

Postby jpclowes » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:33 am

I'd love to trade my 2 piece for a one piece tapered one. Unfortunately Carlos is too far away. (I'm in Ohio) If anyone closer wants to trade I'm willing to take a look!
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby michaelyogi » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:00 pm

Hey everybody I just looked in the bylaws, rules or regs (whatever they are) and it seems you are allowed a deck stepped mast... :o
michaelyogi

ability to compete successfully with a Daysailer

Postby captainseasick » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:42 am

The class rules allow Daysailer 1's and 2's to race together, and also do not restrict boats with hinged masts. This does not however mean that these different configurations have the same capabilities. Daysailer racers have learned from experience, that Daysailer 1's can usually outperform Daysailer 2's. and that tapered masts that step on the keel outperform other set ups. You can TRY to race anything that conforms to the rules, but if you want to succeed, the best possible course is to learn from those folks that are in front of the fleet. Occasionally, a DS2 that is superbly prepared can compete with the original design, but mostly this has not the case. I will try to buck the trend by stiffening and paying attention to the bottom, centerboard, rig tune, sail shape, tatics etc. and we will find out if "re-inventing the wheel" with OLD GLORY will yield results.
Mike
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Next

Return to Repair and Improvement