Assembly...

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Assembly...

Postby michaelyogi » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:57 pm

I just spent last evening mounting all of the deck hardware and then some onto my DS1. All cleats, blocks, new swivel bases for the jibs, gudgeons(sp), mast tabernacle and compression post, and all of the coamings.
Wow! I can actually put her on the trailer and get her out of my shop!!!
I can't believe how unforgiving the caulking can be. 0 to mess in less than 3 seconds!!
michaelyogi

Postby calden » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:15 am

Michael:

What did you use for caulking? Silicone?

I am putting the fourth coat of varnish on my coamings and they'll be ready for re-installation in a few days.

On another front, I'm taking it over to a friend's workshop tomorrow to install the mast hinge and change the trailer from a roller system to bunks. I'm kind of feeling like you - excited to get it all together and spiffed up. Now all I have to do is sail it.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby michaelyogi » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:11 am

I used 3M 4200 for the hardware and 5200 for the coamings. It sticks to everthing and it stretches out like mozarella (sp) cheese. Impossible to strike with your finger. Makes silicone seem easy to use... supposed to be good stuff though.
michaelyogi

Postby michaelyogi » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:21 am

Hey All,
Got the hooks for the cockpit cover on last night, also the new (used to be rigid) kickup rudder is assembled, as is the mast extension. Next is the paint on the new trailer gooseneck, then assemble the trailer. My friend (and sailing mentor) wants to get her out for a winter sail. If I get the time it'll happen soon!!!
michaelyogi

Return to Repair and Improvement