coaming caulking advice

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

coaming caulking advice

Postby calden » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:46 pm

Now that the coaming material is all nicely repaired and revarnished I'll be looking to install it soon. Got new replacement SS screws and washers to match the original sizes.

What caulk should I use? I know that Michaelyogi (Hi Michael) stated in a recent post he used 3m 4200 for hardware attachment and 5200 for the coaming. From what I've read the 5200 is used as a super-strong adhesive caulk when you don't ever want to separate anything. Is this the way to go, or would it be better to caulk it with 4200, thus giving one the option to remove and refinish (repair, revitalize, renovate, etc.) sometime in the future if need be? If so, is 4200 sticky enough to help hold the coamings on?

I've also filled the old screw holes with epoxy-coated wood, and will be redrilling new pilot holes for the screws.

Thanks for advice.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

urethane caulking

Postby Peter McMinn » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:04 pm

Whatever you use, don't use latex. It'll be toast after a year. You can try silicone, but it isn't terrifically durable. When I reinstalled my woodwork, I was going to use Vukem caulk, but I found another urethane product at Home Depot that has a very smooth texture and sets up to be very tough and flexible. Sorry can't recall the name. It's a urethane product that has various applications. I had great success with the window/door sealant.

Stinky stuff, tho!
Peter McMinn

Postby michaelyogi » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:13 am

After 6 coats of Daly's Seafin and two coats of Sikkens Cetol, I wanted the coamings to be rather permanant.
4200 is rather sticky but it is supposed to dry to a hard consistancy whereas 5200 is supposed to remain flexible. So my thinking was hardware is to be solidly attached so I decided to use 4200. The 5200 was in a caulking tube and was easier to apply to the long runs of the coamings
Dont get this stuff where you don't want it 'cause it is hard to clean up. Laquer thinner seemed to work well, although still very messy.
Hey Carlos, trailer is going together, 2x6 p.t. bunks get installed today. Boat gets loaded on tomorrow!!!
michaelyogi

Postby calden » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:45 pm

michaelyogi wrote: Hey Carlos, trailer is going together, 2x6 p.t. bunks get installed today. Boat gets loaded on tomorrow!!!

All right. Any chance of some photos of this new beauty on her trailer?

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby michaelyogi » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:17 am

soon...
michaelyogi

Caulking

Postby rshowarth » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:10 am

If you want to remove it for refinishing in the future, I believe you might want to use 3M 101.
Read
Mariner 2645
rshowarth

Return to Repair and Improvement