post-installation of mast hinge...

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

post-installation of mast hinge...

Postby calden » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:49 pm

Okay, have the mast hinge installed. But in unstepping it, as I lowered the mast, the lower portion, now just sitting on the bronze mast jack, lifted right up off the centering pin (on the mast jack) as the upper portion came down.

Looking at it, it seems that the lower part only wants an eye strap on the starboard side down near the mast jack - that way I can simpy run a strap through that eye, around the mast, and tighten it underneath the mast jack bolt sticking out the port side of the mast jack. That will keep it from rising as I lower the mast.

What else have people done to keep the lower part down, now that it's separated from the upper part and simple freely sitting on the mast jack?

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby jpclowes » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:49 am

I have the same problem with mine. unfortunately I haven't found a good solution, beyond having another person put pressure on the lower part while I drop the big part. I tried installing small cleats to both the mast and a little ridge of fiberglass that the step is mounted in, and I guess I used too small screws, since they popped out at the worst possible time. I was a little reluctant to put straps on it, because eventually I want to be able to shift the location of the step for racing. (Not while I'm racing, that would be illegal in the class, but when I am setting up before. ) I'm still trying to find a solution, so if you think of something let me know.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

post - installation of mast hindge

Postby DS 129 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:37 pm

I think I understand the problem that you are referring to and suggest what I did on early DS 1 style, in mounting Mast. Don't know if this will apply to all models

Raised mast attached to hindge on mast extension which was set on jack screw device. Cranked up the jack screw to get full tension on stays. Went below and marked on extension piece, the height just where it passes thru the under side of deck. Removed everything and drilled hole (about 1/4' dia.) thru top area of extension about 1/4" below mark. Dropped the extension piece back down onto jack screw and ran a bolt about 3/16' dia, about 3" or 4" long thru the hole, loose fitting, but serves as a pin against the underside of deck to keep the extension from popping off the jack screw when raising or lowering the mast.
DS 129

Return to Repair and Improvement