Centerboard Wood

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard Wood

Postby trial1 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:57 pm

Hey all -

I have recently acquired an old DS I (approximately '59 vintage) and all the encompassing repair fun. My new treasure was deprived of a centerboard and I am now beginning the creation process. I have done a fair amount of research thus far, but have failed in finding definitive information regarding the type of wood to use for the centerboard core.

Right now I am leaning towards Redwood because I can get it rather easily and cheap.

I have also though of using a Cedar but I am not sure as to which type of Cedar would be best.

Spruce crossed my mind as another possible solution but I have only been able find construction grade thus far.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks.
trial1

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:12 pm

Spruce, I think, is the wood of choice.
Peter McMinn

Centerboard

Postby swiftsail » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:59 pm

I built my last one out of western red ceder. I cameout really nice but in hindsight I would have put strip of harder wood on the leading edge.

Steve
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby trial1 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:17 am

A harder wood for the leading edge - good idea. I will incorporate that.

Has your board taken serious abuse?
trial1

Centerboard

Postby swiftsail » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:24 pm

The abuse comes from over rotating the board forward into the front edge of the trunk.

Steve
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Centerboard Wood and Shape

Postby Gus » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:21 am

Check out this site.

http://www.philsfoils.com/Designs/DS.html

Gus
DS 11100
Sailing and racing Day Sailers since 1977
Gus

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:14 am

Dave Misunas wrote a great article on the subject, in case you haven't read it. I have a copy available here:

http://www.bobhunkins.com/mt-archives/000020.html

I used spruce in my boards, mostly because my boat is heavy. If your boat is light, a heavier wood would be better, so long as you don't exceed the 25 lb limit.

The spruce I found was mast grade, quarter sawn, with very tight rings so I didn't need to do the trick of ripping the piece and alternating the grain sections.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby trial1 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:10 pm

Gus - I have checked out phil's foils a few times now but would rather craft the centerboard myself (mostly because I enjoy the challenge). Thanks for the link anyways.

Bob - The Dave M. article posted on your website was the catalysts for me finally deciding I could/would build one myself. The PDF's on your site have been extremely helpful. Thanks for those.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how much my boat weighs since I have only just started working on it. I was going to use an ash or maple for the leading edge based upon swiftsail's recommendation and a softer wood for the the rest of the board to save money/weight. In the end, I wasn't able to find decent spruce in my area and decided to make the whole thing out of ash (found a good price on ash). I am going to be really close on the weight limit of 25lbs. - I plan to replace a section of the ash with foam prior to fiberglassing if I don't make it.
trial1

Return to Repair and Improvement