dry rotted carlins

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

dry rotted carlins

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:43 pm

I'm refitting hull #3000 and after removing the combings for refinishing and cutting down I found that the carlins, or the structural supports the combings fasten to have dry rot in them. It seems to be fairly significant because I can almost crush the fiberglass laid up around them fairly easily. That and the screws holding the combings on were not being very secure.

I injected some git rot through the screw holes from the combings, but I'm not at all sure of how much of it penetrated the rotted wood back there since I can't see it through the fiberglass layers. It does seem a little stronger now, but there are still some open voids. I was considering injecting some thickened resin through those holes to fill some voids but I'm not sure how well that will work. Has anyone solved this problem before, and what did you do to restore the strength of those carlins?
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:12 pm

I like the idea of injecting the resin after removing everything loose. You might reinforce it all with a layer or two of glass, too.

Great--now I'm wondering about my own!

:cry:
Peter McMinn

Postby calden » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:29 pm

By carlins do you mean the long piece of wood about 1"x2" that runs behind the fiberglass panel the coamings screw onto? If so, wouldn't it be fairly easy to tear them out and replace them? I'd think if they were rotted in places it would be a cinch to get them out with a 3/4" blunted (so as not to tear up the glass) chisel.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Carlins?

Postby captainseasick » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:18 pm

The only meaning in the dictionary for Carlins corresponds to a "young Scottish girl" Varnishing young women is probably a felony!
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Postby calden » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:30 pm

I hadn't heard the term before but figured it was because I'm still a sailing novice. In any case, if it is the long piece of wood behind the glass to which the coamings attach, I think it would be easy enough to strip out and replace. If so, one could coat a piece of wood with epoxy to start with, before it's put in, and really make it long-lasting, no?

Carlos
Still new at this but full of ideas
DS I #1653
calden

Postby michaelyogi » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:41 am

I cut mine out with a 4" angle grinder with a cutter wheel and then replaced the wood with Yellow Cedar. I'm sure any light wood will work. By the way use a cheap angle grinder. The fiberglass will eat the tool up. I had to kerf the Yellow Cedar in order to make the bends. Worked great!!!
michaelyogi

Return to Repair and Improvement