DS1 centerboard adjustment

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 centerboard adjustment

Postby dsheer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:08 pm

I've sailed the Chesapeake for years, and this 17' boat has the same draft with the board down as my old keelboat - a Pearson 30. I ran that aground more times than I'd like to admit. The DS1 has no way to partially lower the board that I can see. Somebody out there must have devised a rig that is more convient than drilling a hole in the handle and tying it to the mast. I'm thinking a hole in the handle to a block at the base of the mast back to a jam cleat on the centerboard trunk. Any other suggestions?
dsheer

DS1 Centerboard

Postby jnardone » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:52 am

Hi:
I have a DS1 and my centerboard can stop at any position due to the friction of the rubber washers. You may just need to tighten your pivot screw or replace the washers.

I would not want to lock it in any position other than full up because if you do hit something you would want it to kick up.
Joseph
jnardone

Postby dsheer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:36 pm

Thanks, I haven't sailed it yet and didn't realize the washer friction was sufficient. Just another dumb question posted on the boards. I have ordered a new washer in any case and I will install it tight enough to hold the board at any angle while in the water. It clearly does not hold it up by itself with the boat on the trailer - that's how I found out the pawl was missing.

Dan
dsheer

Postby PDuckX » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:05 pm

Someone in our fleet had a system that used line and jam cleats to hold the CB in place. It seemed to work fairly well, untill he hit a solid object and it snapped the CB handle at the pin. :cry:

I agree with Joseph. Just tighten the screws once in awhile and you are good to go.
Andy - Former DaySailer Owner
PDuckX

Postby dsheer » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:01 am

Thanks again, just got a replacement pawl and CB washer from D&R, so I will try using tight screws to see of the board stays up (I sort of wonder if this discussion might not make it through a filter). In any case, the arrangement I had in mind would only hold the board up, not keep it down. Thanks again,

Dan
dsheer

Return to Repair and Improvement