DS1 Jib block part and repair

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 Jib block part and repair

Postby dsheer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:00 pm

My DS1 has the original jib blocks, cars and tracks. The thumbscrew in one of the cars has broken off. Anyone know where I can get a replacement thumbscrew or car and block assembly? Also, the tracks have many holes. My guess is that the outer ones get the screws and the inner ones serve as indents for the thumbscrews on the cars. Or do screws go in all the holes?

Thanks for any help.

Dan
dsheer

Postby wrmann » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:11 am

Dan,

Two different sized screws are used to secure the jib track on my 1970 DS I. Larger screws with pan heads are used on the ends of the track. They keep the jib car from sliding off the ends of the track and anchor the track to the boat. They are about 2" long and entend through the combing. Small pan head screws are use in the other holes. They are about 5/8" long and secure the track to the combing. Their heads allow the jib car to move along the track when the thumb screw is backed off.

Bill
wrmann

Postby dsheer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:08 pm

Thanks Bill, I will make mine like yours, but probably use screws long enough to go into the carlins. Found a local machine shop could make the thumbscrews - using a machine shop was the suggestion of Rudy at D&R marine - for anyone who cares.

Dan
dsheer

Carlins

Postby captainseasick » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:28 am

I can find no nautical reference to "carlins", however under that subject you can find reference to a list of dirty words that are not acceptable for broadcast. COAMINGS are raised wooden boards that prevent water from running over the rails on boats. Carlins are also young Scottish girls. It is probably illegal to put screws into carlins unless you have a license to do surgery! :D
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

carlins

Postby dsheer » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:16 pm

Doctor heal thyself!! It's all your bidness, leave me out of it entirely.

So, if they're not carlins, what do you call the long boards - that lie behind the fiberglass that lies behind the coamings - that hold the screws that go through the coamings, that supports the track on which slide the blocks that hold the line that controls the jib that's hoisted up the mast that lives in the house that Jack built? (Oh wait - it was GEORGE O'Day, not Jack, and it was a boat, not a house, but you get my drift).

Dan
dsheer

carlin->carling

Postby Peter McMinn » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:01 pm

I want to say it's a stringer, but my dictionary led me to "carling": a fore-and-aft member supporting a deck of a ship or framing of a deck opening.

It's also an old woman, so take your choice.
Peter McMinn

Postby dsheer » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:11 pm

Ah. so vee have zee answer to the mysterious calins. The are carlings. I'll be carling you - ooo ooo ooo.

Thanks

Dan
dsheer

Postby calden » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:36 pm

I love this place.

I'm glad that most posters have an absurd sense of humor and enjoy tangential nonsense. Is this somehow endemic to a love of sailing?

Carlos
"Yoo-Hoo, Mabel, Black Label,
Carling Black Label Beer!"
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Repair and Improvement