Repairing Centerboard Pivot hole

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Repairing Centerboard Pivot hole

Postby dsheer » Tue May 16, 2006 11:14 pm

I have a Daysailer 1, and the centerboard handle is loose in the board. This prevents me from raising the board fully into the trunk, it flops out about 3 inches when the handle is full upright. I filled the hole in the cb with epoxy putty and pressed in the handle, covered in wax paper, to get the right hole size. This worked on land, but the putty cracked and fell out on the first sail. It was a windy day to be sure, but I would like to make the handle tight again and have it stay that way.

The hole in the centerboard was square, with no obvious rounding from wear; it was just too big for the handle. Also, I have noticed by looking up into the cb trunk that the square portion of the handle does not extend fully across the trunk, leaving the board, which is substantially narrower than the trunk, only partly supported by the square section.

Suggestions please.

Thanks
Dan
dsheer

Postby Bob Damon » Wed May 17, 2006 9:55 am

Is the centerboard gasket to wide? The square body of the handle should have a rounded tip at the end to insert across the opposite side of the centerboard trunk. If the gasket is ok, and the tip is still there at times the square body gets worn over the years. You can either build up the square body or buy a new handle. Cape Cod Shipbuilding has handles as well as D and R marine. Good luck
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby dsheer » Wed May 17, 2006 10:58 am

Thanks Bob,

The gasket is new from D&R, and the square on the handle is not worn. The round end of the handle shaft does go through to the other side of the trunk, I assume that there is a brass plate fiberglassed in there somewhere. What would you suggest for building up the square part of the shaft?

Dan
dsheer

Postby dsheer » Wed May 17, 2006 11:24 am

And BTW, I took the boat out for the first time in Baltimore Harbor (by Key Bridge and Ft. Carrol) yesterday. A birthday present to myself, and quite a present it was. Lots of wind, up on a plane, and very different from the Pearson 30 I sailed for 20 years. On a 30 footer you do NOT feel any G force from acceleration! The lack of mass to carry through and ability to take on water means you need to pay much closer attention to manuevers and to the sheets. On the 30, I'd leave the sheets set and just head up in a puff. I've learned that doing that in a Daysailer could cause a swamp. The boat could use a little more freeboard on the aft quarter. Bailing is not my favorite activity, and I did have to do some yesterday.

Clearly I need to rig a traveller and a vang. The original mainsheet rig has a tendecy to get hung up on the outboard. It would be nice to have some mechanical advantage on the halyards, and more than 2-1 on the main sheet. The tilt of the mainsheet cam cleat (original) is to low for my taste, I had trouble setting it because of inteference from the seats. I need to learn how to trim the sails effectively - where to set the outhaul, tension the downhaul, when to sail to with the jib backwinding the main to keep the boat upright, etc. Other than that the boat is more stable that I thought it would be - I can actually stand on a gunwhale without tipping it over, and I am a big guy. Lots of room in the cockpit for a small boat.

Thanks for your help, and thanks to all the other people who have helped answer my questions on this very useful and well organized site.

Dan
dsheer

Return to Repair and Improvement