Top Side Paint Question

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Top Side Paint Question

Postby captaindad » Wed May 17, 2006 9:37 pm

I am in the middle of restoring a neglected DSII and have gotten to the point of repainting the hull, topsides and deck. The boat was painted(badly) with a dark blue paint(up to gunwall). I purchased a quart of Interthane 2 part poly last year in a bargain bin at Boat US and was hoping to use it for the topsides. The questions are.....the effort to completely remove the old paint down to the original gel coat is daunting so I am hoping to just sand it thoroughly and use a primer coat first before the 2-part Polyeurothane. I assume that will work and can probably find info on the type of primer to use. Now the big question.....it says to only use above the water line. How do I figure out the water line without actually taking back down off the crib I have it on and dunk it with appropriate weight on board to find the water line? Or should I just use the 2-part down to past where I assume the water line to be and use a bottom paint beyond that? Once that is done I can maybe dunk it and find the water line and then paint a (what is it called....coping stripe or somthing?) to seperate the two?

THanks for any suggestions in advance.

Tim
captaindad

Postby Bob Damon » Thu May 18, 2006 11:42 am

You can usually use the 2 part urethanes below the water if the boat is going to be dry/trailer sailed but if it is going to be on a mooring or at a dock in the water for prolonged periods it will not work. There are some nice bottom paints that have a teflon base that protect the bottom but also provide good performance. Good Luck
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby captaindad » Fri May 19, 2006 6:38 am

After some sanding on the hull I have managed to find the original gel-coat white water line so I guess I have answered my own question. Now for bottom paint....as I plan to only dry-sail in fresh water what type of bottom paint will be best? I do have some anti-fouling Boat US paint left over from the Catalina 27 I sold last year which I assume will work ok right?
captaindad

Postby MAXUM » Fri May 19, 2006 1:40 pm

I used a non-ablative bottom paint on my boat when I did the restoration work. I opted for that since the boat sits on a mooring all season long.

If you read the directions on the two part paint it gives you pretty explicit instructions on surface prep and more importnantly proper mix ratios. Just from the experience of doing mine, surface preparation is the most important thing to getting good results. If I were in your situation I think I'd take the time to get all the old paint off down to the original gel coating, then prime and paint. I've never used the two part paint before, I did mine with the one part, however I assume the two will apply about the same, so a word of advice, do many thin coats with a light sand inbetween. The paint is very drippy, so if you try a heavy coat you will regret it.
John
Hooksett, NH
1970 O'Day Daysailer 1
2003 Sea Ray 185BR
MAXUM

Postby captaindad » Sat May 20, 2006 9:42 pm

Thanks for the reply and instructions John. I am indeed working diligently to remove the old pesky paint to get to gel-coat in order to re-paint. I sure wish it would be nice enough underneath to just keep original blue but it is not so I must re-paint....properly.

I started on the transom using a product that would not affect fiberglass but they warned me would strip gel coat. Since I am re-painting I figured ok.

Here is the transom after stripping and initial sanding:

thumb=[293]

I then started working up the port side .....

thumb=[294]
captaindad

Postby captaindad » Sat May 20, 2006 9:49 pm

Sorry screwed up pics...

Thanks for the reply and instructions John. I am indeed working diligently to remove the old pesky paint to get to gel-coat in order to re-paint. I sure wish it would be nice enough underneath to just keep original blue but it is not so I must re-paint....properly.

I started on the transom using a product that would not affect fiberglass but they warned me would strip gel coat. Since I am re-painting I figured ok.

Here is the transom after stripping and initial sanding:

[thumb=293]

I then started working up the port side .....slow going...spray on..wait...scrape off...clean ...sand.

[thumb=294]

I will finish off with a complete sand and clean and the apply a primer coat for the 2-part above the water line, at least two coats of 2-part poly Eurothane(carabbean blue)followed by New Glass 2 to give it that super shine and the paint the waterline stripe and who knows what for the bottom.? Dry sailing it is not a big issue.
captaindad

Return to Repair and Improvement