replacement jib cleat

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

replacement jib cleat

Postby calden » Sat May 20, 2006 11:39 am

Hey all:

Here's a picture of my existing jib cleat system:

It's a simple jam cleat.

After sailing a few times I've found this to be a little far forward and not as quick to set and release as I'd like.

I've seen some other pics on the forum of jib cleating systems - they look like pairs of cam cleats, facing in opposite directions, with fairleads built in. Some look like they swivel, some don't. I looked at some potential replacements at my local friendly West Marine (all the salespeople know me by first name at this point,) and, like most sailboat hardware choices, appear to me at my beginner stage a bit bewildering.

What would a seasoned DS sailor replace this with for a nice and easy jib cleating system? I'm not looking for best/racing/optimum lead from Barber haulers, etc., just a system that's a bit quicker and easier to use.

Specific suggestions, and a URL reference would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby sunapeesailor » Sat May 20, 2006 1:40 pm

Hi Carlos-

Here are a couple of pictures of the cam cleats on my boat--I do not know the brand or if you could even find these anymore. Note that they are mounted at the thwarts--much easier to reach than your current cleat location...

284 285 261 289

I would use simple cam cleats with fairleads from Harken or similar manufacturer and mount them on mahogany blocks beveled at a moderate angle to allow you to set them easily with a slight pull downward on the jib sheet. You should be able to mount them directly to the centerboard trunk...best way is to predrill oversized hole, fill with epoxy and let dry, then drill correct size hole and attach with stainless screws. Use a tiny dab of marine adhesive in screw hole. This prevents water from ever entering at the screw holes and is a much stronger way to attach than simply screwing to the fiberglass centerboard trunk!

For a good view and discussion on these types of rigging, see the link below:

http://glen-l.com/free-book/rigging-sma ... ats-6.html
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

Postby calden » Sat May 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Bob:

Thanks tons. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

Your cam cleats are among those I had seen and got me thinking about replacing mine. The Harken example is the one I saw at West Marine - but I hadn't thought of mounting it at a slight angle. Looking at your setup I can see that would help in setting the sheet.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Repair and Improvement