Anyone install a windex?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby Mike Gillum » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:01 am

KC's interpretation is spot on about my rather simple Masthead Fly and I just sent him a photograph of it to post later.
Yarn lasts significantly longer than cassette tape and is readily available around my house from my wife and daughter's craft projects over the years.
Sometimes its the simple things that'll win a race as Dave Keran keeps a 12-15" long section of PVC Pipe with a removable end in his Day Sailer to store incense and a lighter to be used in drifters to detect the direction of whatever little wind there might be.
From time to time Dave will have the wood tail of the incense stick between his teeth and lips like a really skinny cigarette while tacking or gybing before sliding it back into a hole in the top of his cuddy cabin where it usally resides when in use.
While I really dislike drifters, over time I've come to realize that its the only condition while racing sailboats that you can be going several times faster than your competitors.
Mike Gillum

Postby GreenLake » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:40 am

... or slower. 8)

~ slow ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:05 am

And a drumroll please! The photo.

Kim,
Photograph was taken in the dark of my preferred Masthead Fly attached using a Windex Masthead Base on the top of one of my Thistle masts.
The Windex Base on my Day Sailer #2772 is fastened to the side of the mast as the tip of the tapered Ballenger mast is too small otherwise.
The Thistle mast in t he photograph is actually horizontal on the boat & trailer so the yarn appears to be blowing in the wind towards the transom instead of straight down.
You're right that it never fouls and is far enough away from the main not to get any turbulence from the main. Mike
Last edited by K.C. Walker on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:20 am

Yes, I mostly disliked drifters. Though, if the water is dead flat it can seem kind of magical ghosting along. What I really hate is a drifter… with boat wakes!

I'll bet sandalwood makes for the fastest boat in a drifter.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement