Anyone install a windex?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby calden » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:18 pm

I put a flat piece of aluminum stock (1/8" x 1/2") about 8" long on the masthead, extending forward. (Attached it with very small 1/4" screws for positioning and a line of 5200 caulk.) I then mounted my windex on the front of this. I can see it really easily, compared to having first mounted it on the masthead itself.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby dsheer » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:09 pm

Cheap, all hardware included, trivial to remove for towing (squeeze the clip), big (even I can see it).

dsheer

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi dsheer,

Could you elaborate a bit more on this windex setup? I'm interested in installing something like this. Did you build it from scratch? Using what parts specifically?

Thanks!

- Tim
TIM WEBB

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:32 pm

Well, I ended up installing the Davis Black Max, found here for $22.10 + shipping:

http://www.sailingsupply.com/Davis-Blac ... 33/prod/26

The bungee-mount thingy literally fell apart in my hands as I was trying to wrap it around the mast (the crimp on the ends of the bungee came off), and it would have interfered with the halyard anyway, so I tossed the plastic base, cut off the flats on the end of the shaft, tapped on threads, and put in a second 90 degree bend. Then I drilled and tapped a hole in the forward top of the masthead, threaded on a locking nut, and screwed the thing on there, making sure that the end didn't stick down too far as to chafe the halyard as it runs over the forward sheave.

The eye strap/shackle on the aft end of the masthead is a removeable topping lift. The windex extends well forward of the mast, and is easy to see from anywhere in the cockpit.

Pictures in the gallery:

gallery/image_page.php?image_id=462

gallery/image_page.php?image_id=463
TIM WEBB

Postby hectoretc » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Greetings all - and a hap-hap-happy holidays to you all.
(Reviving this old tread from 2007)

Christmas week has started for our family tree. Due to ever increasing complexity of holiday scheduling (our daughter got engaged this year, so now there's another families traditions to work into the schedule), so anyway, we had the kids over for "our" family Christmas on Saturday, and I scored a couple of my more obscure boat wish list items (Yes!!!).

I'll tell the story about how my wife and kids refuse to ever shop for sailboat parts again because they don't have normal names for anything, and they felt like a fool asking for sheet bags (for a bed???) and a mast windex (for cleaning windows?). But that's a story to share over a drink...

Anyway, as alluded to, I did get a Windex, and with nothing to do this afternoon but watch the Vikings lose yet again (more sighs) I opened my packages and started playing with the parts and reading the installation instructions. I recalled having seen some Windexes on this site, in a variety of configurations so I googled again, and found this post.

Tim or anybody... I've seen a couple pictures with a Windex shaft bent to offset the device from direct vertical.
In this picture Tim has extended it forward of the mast. Other posting in this discussion advocated straight up on the masthead.

Why would you bend the shaft to extend the windex forward (even as opposed to backward or off to a side?)

Thanks
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby Mike Gillum » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:28 pm

I use the base of an old Windex Mast Head Fly to attach a 12-15" long piece of 1/8" diameter galvanized Hanger Wire (T-Bar Ceilings) facing aft that I roll to a half circle with a 6-8" piece of red yarn taped to the end.
Costs me nothing as we use the Hanger Wire at work and if it gets lost I build a new one or bent I simply rebend it to suit and call it a day.
I'm using my masthead fly to determine whether we can set the spinnaker on a tight reach or judge the direction of the wind while running.
At 2011 DS NAC's my masthead fly was misplaced when we loaded the double deck trailer for the trip back to Texas so we borrowed Craig Lee's spare Windex which was promptly destroyed the next day during a capsize at Junior NAC's.
Sure missed my masthead fly at NAC's so I had to "spy" on my competitor's Windex's throughout the regatta as they're so easy to see.
Mike Gillum

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Funny that you just ressurected this thread, because just the other day I got to the lake and saw that the windex had departed the masthead somewhere along the way. :(

Some time after I posted those photos, I had actually turned it around so it pointed aft, and it was a lot easier to see that way when wing 'n' winging. Not sure what to do now. It broke off right at the lock nut. Must have just been too much road vibration. I was able to get the nut off and unscrew the leftover threaded piece out of the masthead. So, I still have the tapped hole, and I guess I could get another Black Max and install it like that one was, but I'd do it in such a way that I'd remove it for trailering. They come with the 90 degree bend right below the vane (for boom mounting), and I'd probably also cut that off and just have it stick straight up.

Orrrr ... hmmmm ... the coat hanger/cassette tape option is starting to look more and more attractive!
Last edited by TIM WEBB on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIM WEBB

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:33 pm

I've got a Davis Spar Fly that has a quick release mount. It comes with two different mounts, the top mount and this quick release which mounts to the side of the mast head fitting and is spring loaded. It certainly cost more than some hanger wire and a piece of yarn, and I doubt it works any better.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby jdoorly » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:14 am

I started (last year) with a Windex sport 10. The arrow tail broke off several times and I reattached it but have to wonder how 'balanced' it was after repair. Also, I could never get the wind angle reference to stay aligned with the centerline (so it was useless). Also Also, I attached it on one side of the mast but had trouble seeing it half the time.

This year I bought a Spar Fly and haven't had any problems. I attached a 1/8x3/8x24" piece of aluminum to the masthead casting with 2 bolts screwed into "T" nuts that I bent into a "U" so they would fit above the sheaves. The bar is directed aft and the very end bent 90 degrees with a spring clip mounted there so that the shaft of the windex would be verticle and could easily be removed and replaced by an orange flag for trailering.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10991&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50045&subdeptNum=50103&classNum=50105

The spar fly had an adjustable weight on the front so you can balance it perfectly, and it seems to take much more abuse without breaking, and it was cheaper ($25). With the extra mounting bar pointed aft I can see the fly better, and I haven't noticed any inaccuracy being behind, although above, the mast.

BTW, I also have a Raymarine Wind Indicater on the side of the mast head which I needed to get the spar fly away from. The sensor is a Rotovecta type; it calculates wind direction by sensing a designed in imbalance in the wind speed impeller. I find it inaccurate, slow to respond, and hard to calibrate, though I'm hoping to be able to connect its wind direction output to my TillerPilot.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:14 am

I've installed a Windex (with a quick-release) at the mast-top. Have not had any complaints - except I lost two of them while trying to sail through trees. The newer ones come with reflectors on the bottom - I regularly sail at night and appreciate that feature.

I've tried to fly yarns from the shrouds, to have some indicator that's more at eye level, but haven't been happy with that - I find it hard to read the angle viewing things side-on.

As for the markers, they are occasionally shifted a bit, but it's easy to "calibrate" that early in the trip and then account for it. I use the sails and tell tales to know when I'm close-hauled - the Windex then becomes a quick check on wind shifts, and the position relative to the marker serves merely as a quick guide to get me back close to the wind.

Having the tail line up with the inside of one marker and the outside of the other on the other tack isn't a great problem - nevertheless, I do take a second to make sure they are lined up before the mast goes up.
Last edited by GreenLake on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby hectoretc » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:17 pm

So what I think I'm hearing is...

GL has his straight up off the top.
Mike has... something completely different, which I don't understand...
KC either has his on top or the side, but it sounds like it goes straight up.
Tim had his forward, and then backward, and then not at all, but if he did it again he'd go straight up.
Jay has his offset off the back, but it sounds like it is necessary so's not to interfere with the techy Raymarine Rotovecta thing...

So it sounds like in that absence of a reason to do otherwise, straight up is as good a choice as any... unless that's wrong...

Thanks all, Scott
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby GreenLake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Mike Gillum wrote:I use the base of an old Windex Mast Head Fly to attach a 12-15" long piece of 1/8" diameter galvanized Hanger Wire (T-Bar Ceilings) facing aft that I roll to a half circle with a 6-8" piece of red yarn taped to the end.

Mike,
like Scott, I have a problem visualizing this from your description. Is it just like an L except on its back with the short leg curved instead of straight?
If I'm not getting close, perhaps time for a picture.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Scott,

some people I sail with have their indicators at deck level, where they can be scanned without having to look up - gives different readings of course, because neither wind speed nor direction stays the same as you go up the mast.

And some have a pair of indicators attached to the shrouds.

If you are not sailing competitively, you can get along without any - it just means that you need to pay more attention to the feel of the wind. Some feel it on their cheeks, some below their nose, and one crew member claimed he could "hear" the wind - must have felt it best with his ears.

One guy I sailed with brought a pipe, and that was a great help on a very light-air day.

You haven't asked any questions about tell-tales. Are those next? :wink:
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:47 pm

Okay, fun with visualization. My interpretation of what Mike described is a half circle of wire. It starts straight up out of the masthead and ends pointing straight down with the yarn attached dangling from that and point. It would indicate the slightest breeze and never get fouled.

For wind indicators on my shrouds I have Davis wind-tels. I've had good luck with them. They are very sensitive and never get fouled like cassette tape or yarn. Of course, they do cost a bit more.

Pipe smoke for light air sailing, that's a good one. Or, on those nice hot still days taking your shirt off and feeling the breeze.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:06 pm

K.C. Walker wrote: My interpretation of what Mike described is a half circle of wire. It starts straight up out of the masthead and ends pointing straight down with the yarn attached dangling from that and point. It would indicate the slightest breeze and never get fouled.

That, finally, makes absolute sense. Thanks.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

PreviousNext

Return to Repair and Improvement