sail slugs?? which ones?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

sail slugs?? which ones?

Postby calden » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:46 pm

Hey all:

I've been having a really tough time getting the mainsail up when setting out in moderate winds. Only if I can manage to keep the boat pointed into the wind (and keep it there) can I yank hard enough to hoist the sail up the last 2 feet or so.

I bought some Sail Kote and that helped a lot, but it's still not as smooth as I'd like it, and feels dicey standing up, solo, pulling hard on the halyard and feeling the boat slowly turn, with the billowy main blowing around me. It might be just that the sail is so old (original) that the bolt rope is fuzzy and thickened with age. It doesn't hang up in a particular spot, it just gets really tight as it goes up (unless there's no wind at all.)

So I came for expert advice - here! - and read up on sail slugs. Looking through my Sailrite catalogue I see there are several types.

Specifically, what have people used that work well with our masts and sails? The nylon w/stainless bail? All stainless? All nylon? What size width - 1/2"? And the shackle attachment - has anyone done the grommetless shackle? Looks super-simple to put on, and definitely the cheapest, but I wouldn't hesitate to put in grommets if it's structurally advisable.

Thanks for any suggestions! Been doing some great sailing, and yesterday was especially good using my new jib sheet cam cleats on the centerboard. SO much better than the old style jam cleat.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Luff Rope

Postby KaiB » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:11 pm

I attribute our tough pull to the older bolt rope (luff rope?)...hate to spray anything as I'm concerned about grit.

New sails this winter for all of us...huh?

BTW Carlos; photos - we want photos of your new jib cleats.

Kai and Audri
"Sadie B"
DS-1 #3162
KaiB

Postby calden » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:19 pm

Here's a picture of the new cleats:

I just bought standard Ronstan cleats and added the optional fairleads to them. I wasn't sure if the fairleads were necessary, but they seem to help. I think I got the angle right - the sheets really feel right at hand in the boat when sailing.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Nice

Postby KaiB » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:45 pm

Very nice, Carlos...thems real purdy.

I'm up to my neck in varnish with the fourth coat now on the combings...and have yet to even begin to strip the floorboards.

You're going to have a wonderful little boat when you're all done.
KaiB

Return to Repair and Improvement