Which paint? Brightside or Perfection?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Which paint? Brightside or Perfection?

Postby djd » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:15 am

Hello Everyone,
I'm trying to decide if I should use the one part Interlux "Brightside" paint or the two part "Perfection" paint. The one part is cheaper and easier to apply, but the two part claims to be much more durable. I want to paint both the top side and the hull above the waterline.

Can anyone please share their experience? How hard was the paint to apply? How is it holding up? What kind of prep work was done?
Dennis
djd

Postby Reef » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:39 pm

Dennis - The one part Interlux product is GREAT. It is quite easy to apply (foam banana roller then tipped by foam brush) and is quite durable. I've used it on my 74DSII on just the hull above the waterline. I'm astonished actually on how many compliments I've received regarding my vintage boat. The two part product MAY be worth considering for the deck and topsides as they will take more wear and tear.
Reef

Postby djd » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:08 pm

Reef -
Thanks for the reply. What kind of preparation work did you do and did you use a primer?
- Dennis
djd

Paint

Postby Ed Hutchinson » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:34 pm

I've painted my DSI with Interlux Brightside, and had mixed results with it.
It goes on easy, and looks good for a short while, but it dosn't stand up well. In the interior, it wears away in place where there's a lot of contact, seats, the ceterboard housing, and floor. I find I have to touch it up every year. On the sides, almost any contact with other boats and docks leaves scratches. In the last 5 or 6 year I repainted the entire top side a couple of times. I would not use it again.

Ed Hutchinson
Ed Hutchinson

Postby djd » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:12 pm

Thank you Ed.
I like the easy to use part of it, but I do want something that's going to last a long time. Did you use a primer?

Lots of sanding ahead, so I still have a little time to think about it....
Dennis
djd

Postby Reef » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:19 am

Dennis - Sorry for the delayed response. I used 220 grit paper fairly lightly over the entire hull and proceeded to give it a good pressure washing prior to painting. My boat is at a saltwater mooring in southern Maine and has taken the wear well with this coating. I put in around mid-June and often don't haul it out until early November. If you will be trailer sailing - then perhaps you should take stock in the other respondent's comments. When I applied the paint I did go for two coats. I have seasonal touch-up from dingy scrapes though nothing more. I agree with the other respondent that you should consider a tougher coating for the deck and cockpit areas. Remember though - it's a boat...you will always have some maintenance regardless of what you choose. Best Regards, Bill
Reef

Which paint Brightside or Perfection

Postby DS 129 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Meant to answer sooner but have been away from computer for a while.

From my experience as I have submitted some time ago, best paint by far is "Rustoleum" Best if you can spray, but can do reasonably well with brush.
You need to remove old paint and sand faily well, apply the paint, one coat, only enough to cover, thin as possible if spraying. The paint is soft for awhile, but in a month or so it hardens like porcelain, really, realy hard and durable. One coat is enough, no primer needed, too much paint and it takes longer to set up, probably best if you can paint now and it will be rock hard by spring.

I first used it on a wheel barrow and a garden cart and then on a small boat.
What I suggest is something like trying some on a snow shovel, use the snow shovel all winter and evaluate the painted shovel in the spring. If it stands up, go for it on the boat
DS 129

painting

Postby djd » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:06 pm

DS 129.
I still haven't made up my mind about what paint to use. It's taken me forever to sand off all the old paint. Some of the old bottom paint was thick and really tough, but I'm nearly "finished". I'll look into the Rustoleum Best. I assume "Best" is something different then regular Rustoleum? (I've used the regular stuff before and have been happy with it - just never on a boat.)

Thanks for the input.
Dennis
djd

Postby dsheer » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:21 pm

Well I'll be.

Somebody else used Rustoleum. I put it on my bottom after I scraped off all the old copper bottom paint, which extended way above the molded in bootstripe. Sort of thought I was nuts, but the boat was on a trailer now, not in the water, and, yes, Rustoleum did stand up for years on the wheelbarrow. Also it was much less expensive. Actually probably MAINLY it was much less expensive.

So, I'm coming out of the closet.

I AM A RUSTOLEUM USER!!!!!

I'm feeling better already.

I sanded and primed the bottom with a good one coat primer first. I have scratched the bottom; it is the bottom after all. Still, except where it's hit the metal trailer, dragged through the sand, or been erased by the rubber rollers being dragged sideways across it, it has held up remarkably well. Shine and all. A bright red it still is, too. I'll just touch it up next year. Maybe. If I ain't too lazy.

Dan
dsheer

hello my name is roger and I use rustoleum!

Postby Roger » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:32 pm

Well actually up here in Canada it is call Tremclad, but it is essentially the same product. My chandler put me on to it stating that it was the same formulation as topsides paint. I think he was comparing to a particular name brand, but I can't remember the exact conversation now. Seikens perhaps.

Mine too held up well as above the waterline, but did not do so well underwater at a slip. It was fine as long as I trailer sailed it however, sans the aforesaid scrapes etc.
Roger

Rust-oleum

Postby djd » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 pm

That's funny...
I e-mailed Rust-oleum and told them I was painting a fiberglass boat. Asked what product they would recommend and what prep to use.

They answered - very promptly and politely - that fiberglass was too smooth a surface and they didn't think their product would stick well! Here's what they said:
"Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum. Unfortunately, on a fiberglass surface, you will need to really rough it up to obtain any type of adhesion. Because fiberglass is so smooth, the paint will not bond."

I thought this was really strange - because they advertise a line of paints made especially for boats! Both topside and bottom paint. My local small boat shop also recommended Rust-oleum. I guess no one ever told the e-mail answering staff...
Dennis
djd

Update on painting

Postby djd » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:00 pm

Here is an update for anyone that's interested..
I decided to use Interlux's "Micron CSC" bottom paint because it was highly recommended by a good friend - and he gave me enough from a left over project to coat the bottom. ($66 / quart!)
For the non-wetted section of the hull, I'm in the process of applying Interlux's "Toplac". A one part product. ($18 / quart.)
I brushed on one coat last week and was disappointed to find it had several sags and runs. However, the gloss was very good. Today I wet sanded with 320 and tried to remove the flaws, then put on a thin second coat.
We'll see how this one turns out. (Looks like there are still some runs developing even though I took care not to apply to thick.)
Dennis
djd

Return to Repair and Improvement