forestay mount loose

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

forestay mount loose

Postby vtrunner » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:16 pm

I have a Daysailer II (circa 1982) and the forestay mount has gradually separated from the deck. there is about 1/4" of daylight between the forwad part of the mount and the deck and the stern one, 1/64" The screws are tight. The loostening has been gradual but I am concerned that it will pull out and I will lose the mast. How is the plate attached and can it be remounted throung an inspection port in the bow tank?
vtrunner

stemhead

Postby Roger » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:49 pm

The stemhead is attached with nuts through a backing plate. It is difficult to reach through the bulkhead because it is about 18" forward and at a difficult angle. Better to put an inspection port through the deck about 6" inches behind the stemhead and effect the repair through there.

And yes you will eventually lose your mast. The bolts are slowly unscrewing over time from vibration. Sometimes the backing plate itself is threaded, so you may be able to get away with loosening the forestay while retightening the screwheads. If that does not work, then you will need to put in an inspection port. There is no foam floatation that high up and that far forward. There is actually a small void there, so you will not have to dig through much foam to get to your repair site.

I have a very poor picture of the under part of the stemhead, but the lighting is so poor that it it not very informative. If you are interested however, send my an email to roger02@mts.net and mention this under the stemhead picture, and I will send it to you.
Roger

loose stemhead

Postby vtrunner » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:52 am

I had an inspection cover installed about 6" back from the bow in the deck. The flotation in this boat is not foamed in, it is small blocks so it was easy to get access. The backing plate was glassed into the bow area and had apprently moved towards the underside of the deck slighly as it is not tight to the deck. The reason that I could not tighten the forward screw is that it is 2" long and was blocked by a blob of epoxy. Using a 1.5" screw was all it took to fix. I have some very good pictures of the backing for the U bolt on the bow, the backing plate for the cleats and the forestay mount backing plate Iwill e-mail on request
vtrunner

pics please

Postby Roger » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:09 pm

I would really appreciate those pics for my repair library. There is great liklihood that I may pass them on to another needy individual on the net as the need arises, so let me know if you don't want that to happen.

roger02@mts.net
Roger

Return to Repair and Improvement