ds2 centerboard again

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

ds2 centerboard again

Postby owldraco » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:27 pm

I am resonably sure that the line controlling centerboard are going thru the wrong holes in the trunk. I've added an inspection port in the cuddy a bit foreward and to the right of the trunk. I can't see or feel the bolt at all. All I see is a wedge/triangular fiberglass bump on both sides of the trunk. There are two steel plates on the bottom of the boat with philips head bolts all the way into the bilge. There is some cracks and dents damage around those plates which I can fix (I hope).
Also while I was feeling around in the bilge aroud the trunk, I pulled out a water logged piece of plywood 7"x1.5"x.5". It was wedged in the front part of the trunk in that gap between flare of the trunk and the underside of the cockpit/deck. Any thoughts
Andrew
owldraco

ply and pivot bolts

Postby Roger » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:57 pm

The chunck of ply is about the right size for the mast support plate that is supposed to be glassed inunder the mast step, supported beneath by a short stub of a post that goes down to and is glassed into the hull.

I have a picture of what it should look like if you send an e-mail to roger02@mts.net

Also, I have a picture of where the pivot bolt should be. It sounds however, that your boat has the wedges, that pivot studs sit in. Remove the triangular wedges and the cd should be able to be lifted out. This I think was a later improvement to the through pivot bolt that often leaks later in life.

If you have a pivot bolt, you should be able to feel it about wrist deep forward of the factory installed inspection ports on both sides of the centerboard trunk. I had a devil of a time finding them the first time, but I was going too deep. With the rim of the inspection port at about where you wear your wrist watch feel forward along the cb trunk. It's only about 5 or 6 inches forward. I have a picture of that as well.
Roger

CB pivot bolt?

Postby owldraco » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:32 pm

I was able to get the boat careened on its side using the "tree method." While it's over i will be doing some repairs. Today I un-screwed the plates and pulled out he wedges. There is some damage to the trailing edge that shoud be fixed with some epoxy putty? Also ther is a lot of play/ gap between the board and the trunk. Is there supposed to be a big washer on each side or something like that? All there is, is the board, wedges and an big nylon/ plastic pin.
Andrew
owldraco

what you see is what you get... I think!

Postby Roger » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:36 pm

I'm not an expert on this type of centerboard, but I seem to recall from talking to others who have the wedge type, that the pivot pin sits in slots held in place by the wegdes. Since there is not a hole through to the inner hull, there is no need for rubber washers like in the pivot bolt type of cb where the water is held out of the inner hull by a ss through bolt that compresses ss washers which in turn compress rubber gaskets against the cb trunk, making a watertight fit for the pivot bolt. (sorry for the run on sentence; I am sure my grammer teacher is rolling in her grave!)
Roger

Return to Repair and Improvement