Spinaker Halyard Installation

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Spinaker Halyard Installation

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 09, 1997 1:00 am

I want to install a spinaker halyard and topping lift on my 1983 DS II. Can someone tell me where on the mast they should go? Also, Where on deck the blocks and the downhaul go? Thanks!

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 1998 1:00 am

I also want to add a spinnaker and fittings! Please let me know if you have any luck !!! One boat dealer suggested that a spinnaker for a Laser might work...haven't persued that, as of yet.. Thanks

Jeff Piersons (Lakeleach-at-clarityconnect.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 07, 1998 1:00 am

On this Day Sailer Home Page go to "Information" and chick on "Specifications and Measurements" then click on " Drawing 7.1 Mast Bands & Fittings". Click on the small drawing that comes up. You will see that the spinnaker halyard should be 15' 5" above the top of the cuddy or 2" above the shroud attachment. Pop Rivit the eyestrap, add a small block, thread the halyard before you step the mast and you're ready to hoist the spinnaker.

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Sun Feb 08, 1998 1:00 am

I've got a few questions regarding Spinnaker rigging, which I don't think is covered in the specs:
1. Where should the block for the pole topping lift go?
2. Does the DS use a foreguy or downhaul for the pole? if so, how should it be rigged?
3. The specs say that a maximum of two pole rings may be fitted to the mast. I take it that means you can't use a track? If so, how do you determine the best place on the mast to put the ring?
4. Does the DS use tweakers, a.k.a twingers?

I've never seen a DS with a spinnaker, and all my knowledge comes from crewing on bigger boats. Does anyone have any good information on DS spinnaker rigging and handling?

Fair winds,
Bob Hunkins
DS 11750,"Surprise!"
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 19, 1998 1:00 am

Some answers to get you started with your spinnaker set-up.

1. Mine is 2' 6" down from the spinnaker halyard block.
2. Yes. I have seem so many different set-ups, I think it's whatever works for you.
3. No track. Most of us use only one ring. How to determine the best place on the mast to put the ring? What is the most comfortable reach for your crew within class spec's.
4. I do.

You might try to get together with Chuck up in Arlington take a look his boat and ask him some of your questions.

chield@arlington.net

Gus Heismann DS 11100

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Roger » Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:02 pm

On what side of the mast does the spinnaker halyard get cheek blocked and cleated? Does the jib halyard traditionally go on the port or starboard side?
Roger

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:30 pm

Roger -

It's really a matter of personal preference, and how the skipper functions with the crew.

For example, on my boat, I have brought the spinnaker halyard down below the cuddy, then back to the back of the center board trunk, on the port side. This is due to having brought the spin pole topping lift back to the starboard side seat thwart (the underside).

This allows me to adjust the topping lift easily while sitting on the startboard side , especially during a race and approaching the winward mark. My crew (my son), is usually putting up the pole, and I help by raising the topping lift.

I hope this is not too confusing...let me know if you have further questions.

Don Trop

Don Trop (don.trop-at-att.net)

Return to Repair and Improvement