Damaged Cuddy Roof

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Damaged Cuddy Roof

Postby Gary Hewitt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:55 pm

My recently acquired DSII has a cuddy roof which is separated from the bulkhead. It is actually "torn" away with some pieces of laminate missing. I have one estimate for repair at $900 which seems pricey. I would like to return it to original shape but am wondering if I can cut the top away and add a structural aluminum cross-piece along the bulkhead. This would essentially be an open bow design similar to Mr. Fox's original. The aluminum can also be used to mount blocks, cleats, etc. If I do this, will the boat be "legal" for competition?

Does anyone have ideas of how to access the inside of the cuddy to bevel the parts to prepare for laying-up an FRP repair? I might be able to crawl inside, but it doesn't look like a normal size human could function in that space.

Is it possible to cut the deck just forward of the bulkhead and remove the the cuddy and foredeck? How do you release the deck to hull joint? If this can be done, the cuddy roof interior can accessed and repaired more easily.

Are FRP parts available such as cuddy and foredeck?...the whole deck and cockpit?

The boat is a 1978 and appears to be sound, but I have not done a thorough inspection. The spars are in good shape. Forestay has a broken strand. The sails look good in the house on the floor, but...

Sound or not, $900 is over half the value.
Gary Hewitt

Postby calden » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:48 pm

I'm no expert here, but I've been fooling around with basic repair and modification on my DSI for the last year.

Is the damage from an accident or collision? Or 290-lb. Uncle Fred running around on deck changing the spinnaker? It seems to me that this thing is fixable. Taking off the deck is not a bad idea, really, if you don't care about it being class-legal (probably won't fly is my guess.) It actually might be nice to have an open bow. But I would think that repairing the separated deck/hull would be an easier job. Designing a structural support for the mast would be a big engineering project, and putting it in would be likewise involved.

There's probably some way to hire a skilled child to get in there and fool around with toxic chemicals. Just kidding! Ha ha. Seriously, there's probably some way to get in there enough to apply epoxy and fiberglass tape.

WHy don't you take some pictures and post them here and I'm sure you'll get a lot of people willing to tell you what to do. It sounds like a 2-weekend project to me, and worth $900.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby Bob Damon » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:29 pm

Part of your question is if you remove the cuddy, will it be legal to race. The answer is no. Refer to bylaw 3, paragraph 5.1: No changes are permitted tha modify the exterior lines of the hull, deck, or cuddy. Any repairs must return the boat to a design that is essentially as it came out of the box as to shape and placement of mast partner. Contact me with any questions before doing final repairs if you are in doubt about the legality of what you are doing. Good Luck! Bob Damon
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby jpclowes » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:45 am

Gary
I have crawled in to the cuddy of my previous DS (a II) it isn't comfortable, but it is possible. I'm not 100% sure what your repair is from your description, (probably lack of imagination on my part,) but we have some guys who are pretty good at repairs in our fleet, over here in Columbus (I see you are in Central Ohio too) perhaps we can all get together over the winter and give you some ideas? We've pretty much stopped sailing for the winter here (docks come out of the water at the club on Saturday,) but we usually try to get together about once a month or so for social things during the winter. If you are interested PM me your info and I'll be sure to include you when we plan something.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Return to Repair and Improvement