Filling small holes around cuddy hatch.

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Filling small holes around cuddy hatch.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 01, 1999 1:00 am

I am replacing the fabric hatch cover with a wooden one. I will removing a bunch of snap connections that are attached around the hatch opening. This will leave a bunch of small holes about 1/8 inch in diameter. Just for aesthetic reasons, I want to fill them. What should I use? It is an old boat and I am not concerned about the color. I was thinking about the epoxy putty or epoxy glue.

Mike Hastings (hastinml-at-co.forsyth.nc.us)

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 02, 1999 1:00 am

To fill holes, you will want something with body to it to keep it from sagging or oozing out. So epoxy glue is probably not the answer. I would recommend MarineTex, which is a two part epoxy putty. You can get it at any boat store or probably mail order. It comes in two colors - white and gray, and is easily sanded flush after it cures.

John Dura (jdura-at-telcordia.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 13, 2001 1:08 am

Never saw a fabric cover and until now never was sure one was ever standard part of DS2s. Now I do. So; as for the wholes...... good 'ol auto body putty works fine. Easy to work. holds well. paintable. Some my grandfather feathered into boatyard scrapes on the bottom of his Bristol 27 has been there for over 15 years and we are the only ones that could point out where it is. Cheeper than Marinetex too.

MAKurtis (Emak41-at-excite.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 18, 2001 12:14 pm

Hello,
Just replaced fabric cover on my 1970 DSII with hatchboards from D&R ($110). It involved some cutting of the fiberglass to enlarge the cutty opening due to the 1970 boats having a smaller than standard cutty opening. Rudy at D&R advised me of how to do this and provided me with some "u-channel" moulding to provide a finished appearance around the opening. Although I was reluctant to do this, it worked out and I am happy with the result. If anyone has any questions on this feel free to e-mail me and I can provide a more detailed description of the procedure.
Len Phelan

Len Phelan (tralfaz-at-capecod.net)

Return to Repair and Improvement