Where to cut mast.

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Where to cut mast.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 15, 1999 1:00 am

I have done my last balancing act and plan to cut the mast and add the hinge. Where should I cut? Right above the hole in the cuddy there is a vang attachment. Right above that are the cheek blocks. I have three choices:

1) Raise both the vang attachment and cheek blocks and cut it right above the hole. I really hesitate to raise the vang attachment even more.

2) Leave the vang attachment and raise the cheek blocks. Cut it above the vang attachment.

3) Relocate the vang attachment to inside the cuddy and cut the mast right above the hole. I won't have to move the cheek blocks. I am not sure if the vang will work running it through the cuddy opening. When the boom is let out it might not clear.

Where should I put the hinge?

Mike Hastings (hastinml-at-co.forsyth.nc.us)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 31, 2000 1:00 am

Mike:
I am looking into installing a hinge in my mast. Any pointers would be appreciated.
I have a Procter Mast, any suggestions on leads with those fittings?

barry (bfk-at-sdcity.sannet.gov)

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 02, 2000 1:00 am

I bought mine at Dwyer. They have an internet site. I don't know if they have fittings that fit your mast or not. They will fax you an outline of the masts their fitting will match. You should also try the manufacturer of the mast.

Mike (hastingsml-at-aol.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement