Modification of cockpit combings

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Modification of cockpit combings

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 23, 1999 1:00 am

I have seen pictures of Daysailers with the forward foot or so of the cockpit combings cut down so that they don't leave such a crease in the crew's rear end while hiking out. I am considering this modification on my DS1 and have two questions. First, can anyone advise as to the optimum distance aft from the cuddy cabin to cut down the combing? Humorous comments re: how wide the is crew's rear end will be appreciated though not the most helpful. Second, have those who have made this modification found that they take more water in over the side? I do not race but sail in the ocean in winter conditions where hiking is key to staying upright. I would like to know before I start cutting, however, whether full width combings help to keep the boat dry or provide any additional margin of safety when hit by a gust. Thanks in advance for any advice you can supply on these points and any other suggestions for this modification.

Evans Wohlforth (nyew-at-gateway.net)

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 24, 1999 1:00 am

Cut your combings down to deck level from the back of the centerboard trunk to the start of the cutty. Most of the water will come in over the rear corner of the cockpit first.

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 15, 2000 1:00 am

I'll second that idea. Almost all water taken aboard has bee over the aft quarters.

MAK (ymak41-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 14, 2000 10:46 pm

I just found this site..it is great! My DS1 would allow a lot of rain water to enter the cockpit when stored even when the cockpit is tarped.. if the combing was completely flush with the deck. Rain water runs around the cuddy and runs along the combing all the way to the stern. Suggest leaving a half inch of combing sticking up above the deck.

C Trotter (CindyTR-at-integrityonline14.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement