Bent Board Handle

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Bent Board Handle

Postby Triche » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:12 pm

I just bought hull number 9232, I think. 1964? Anyway the board handle is very much bent. I think is it bent to the extent that the board won't go down all the way..... So I was wondering, it is bronze I believe, can it be heated with a torch and straightened out, or what should I do?

Thanks in advance. [/quote]
David Triche
Sacramento, CA
Triche

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:23 pm

I have the same issue, and in a month or so, I'll be taking it on as I also fair the board (reason for the bent handle). I had the same thing in mind, but would be interested in whether heating the metal would weaken it.

Expert opinon needed.
Peter McMinn

Postby swiftsail » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Personally I had a new one built out of Stainless and as a secondary purpose I use it to keep my crew in line. (It's a bit beefier than the original)
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

CBoard Handle,

Postby Triche » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:23 pm

Swifty,

Did you do it yourself and how much did it cost. I guess I could cut it off and attach a pipe. That would look very Rube Goldberg, but seriously, can they be straightened with heat. I am not the familiar with the propertied of bronze other than it is soft. Actually, I don't need the handle to keep order, at least I don't think. Although, self flagellation might make me sail better, but since I don't have a crew that doesn't seem necessary.

David Triche
David Triche
Sacramento, CA
Triche

Postby Peter McMinn » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:55 pm

I have seen stainless pipe fitted over the stub of a broken handle. With some bicycle handle grip on the end, this seems to serve the owner well.

I'll probably resort to this if the handle breaks as I heat/bend it back to shape.
Peter McMinn

Postby swiftsail » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:43 pm

I had it built about 10 years ago buy a local machine shop for about $100.
I also have seen various pieces of pipe used to correct this flaw in the Day Sailer design but I wanted a solution that I was never going to have to worry about again. Specially at that last minute "Oh S@#$, put the board down" as you are about to round the leeward mark.
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Bent Board Handle

Postby Wyatt » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:25 pm

You may want to try a blacksmith or metalworking shop. The strength properties of metals are affected by heating and cooling. I don't know what the effect on bronze is, but if you were to heat up steel in order to bend it, and didn't retemper it, you would lose strength.

I have the same problem with my handle, which is actually slightly twisted where it goes through the centerboard. I'm going to try and locate a blacksmith and have him re-square the dowel and make a matching insert to mount on the new foil.

Regards,

Wyatt
DS1 2922
Wyatt

Return to Repair and Improvement