Crack in hull at Front of Slot for Center Board

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby kellyima » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:51 am

When i pulled my boat out of the water, i noticed a small slow drip coming from the hull at the front of the slot where the centerboard drops. Apparently there's a very small crack/hole which is letting water in and out of the bilge. There's no visible hole, but it felt mushy. I tried to take a picture but they wouldn't come out. I think the crack might have been caused by centerboard repeatedly hitting front of slot.

Has anyone had a similar experience and how did they fix it?

Thanks
kellyima

Re: Crack in hull at Front of Slot for Center Board

Postby Adrift » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:00 pm

kellyima wrote:When i pulled my boat out of the water, i noticed a small slow drip coming from the hull at the front of the slot where the centerboard drops. Apparently there's a very small crack/hole which is letting water in and out of the bilge. There's no visible hole, but it felt mushy. I tried to take a picture but they wouldn't come out. I think the crack might have been caused by centerboard repeatedly hitting front of slot.

Has anyone had a similar experience and how did they fix it?

Thanks

Are you sure it is coming from the hull, not the board? My board has a crack which leaks and it will drip for a couple of days. (Just one of many things on my universal to-do list.) That squishy thing you describe has me worried though.

Do a search (archives) here I think someone else had a similar problem before. A good repair takes a bit of work. Might have read it somewhere else.

Concern about that smacking thing led me to this: I put a huge honking blob of silicone at the bottom-front of the slot. (Masking tape to hold it up while it set.) Rubber bumper!
Adrift

Postby metrounit9 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:06 am

I own an O'Day Mariner that has the same problem only worse. On my boat there is actually a hole the size of a nickel where the forward edge of the CB case meets the hull.

I have done quite a bit of research and asked questions at other forums and here is what I am planning to do for my repair.

Remove the compromised fiberglass until I get to good solid material. Then I'll grind out a tapered area about 3 to 4 inches in diameter (taper will be deepest at hole and feather out 3 to 4 inches from there), and finally, I'll apply layers of fiberglass cloth and epoxy until the area is built up to match the hull. I actually plan to do this on the outside of the hull and inside the bilge.

If you do a search on "Don Casey" + "Fiberglass sailboat repair" you should get some good information. Mr. Casey has written several books on sailboat maintenance and fiberglass repair. West Systems also has information on their web site about fiberglass repair and offers a low-cost manual (less than $5.00) with sorts of examples and guidance on repairs. West Systems web site is www.westsystem.com

Good luck, I hope your repairs are not extensive as mine.

Dan
metrounit9

Postby Wyatt » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:16 am

Some repairers are now recommending viny ester resin in lieu of epoxy for fiberglass boat repairs. Vinyl ester has good strength properties, is cheaper, and easier to use than epoxy. You can also re-apply gelcoat over vinyl ester whereas it is not recommended to do so over epoxy.

Regards,

Wyatt
DS1 2922
Wyatt

Return to Repair and Improvement