Hiking straps

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hiking straps

Postby Neuville » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:05 am

What is the best and simplest way to attach hiking straps?
Neuville

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:02 pm

You should have a lot of folks weighing in here.

I based my system on what I've seen and used in other boats. Found some 2" webbing and measured out the first length from the mast step to the aft end of the CB trunk, allowing for adjustable outboard pull.

The second section starts from the same aft CB point and extends to the aftermost part of the seat. This section is great for extra leverage (skipper) needed downwind.

I put grommets in the doubled-over ends, attached a stainless ring to the mast step track, screwed eyestraps into aft end points on trunk/seat, and tied it all in with adjustable lengths of 3/16" line.

As all of the above was thrown together just before a regatta 4 years ago, it's due for some revision. So, I'm all ears as to what others have done, especially with that troublesome thwart in the way!

:roll:

Here's another thread on this topic: viewtopic.php?t=614&highlight=hiking+straps

Also, check out Phill's photos: http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/gallery/search.php?user_id=66
Peter McMinn

Postby jpclowes » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:44 am

My set up is similar. I don't have the set from the trunk to the back of the boat, but have been thinking about adding them.

One other thing I did was I put an eye-strap under each thwart and tied some 3/8 line from those to the straps, with the idea that these would hold the straps up and away from the trunk and hull bottom. I found that it was often hard to put my foot under the straps when I needed them most because the straps would be lying in the corner where the trunk and hull meet (I don't have my floorboards in). With this set-up I can easliy get my feet under the strap. Be sure to keep them close enough to the trunk that they aren't in the way when you are moving about the cockpit, but far enough away that they are easy to get to.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

DS II hiking straps

Postby Roger » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:44 am

When I installed hiking straps in my DS II, I purchased ss eyebolts, larger fender washers (4) and a nut from the local hardware. I placed a fender washer on each side of the drainage holes from the cuddy into the cockpit, and threaded the eyebolt into the cuddy securing it with the nut. I attached my hiking straps to the eyebolt using ss quick links and ran the strap around the back of the centerboard trunk, and forward to the other eyebolt. I used a ladder lock buckle to adjust the tension. I had a mid cockpit traveller that prevented the back end of the hiking strap from riding up and over the cb trunk, but an eyestrap would do the same job if you don't have a mid cockpit traveller. Because the forward attachement points are about an inch or so above the cockpit floor, the straps were always in the right position to hook your toes/ankles under. As I often sailed solo, my positon was usually well forward, so I never found a need for the straps to go further back, but there is no reason that you could not create an attachment point on the inside transom to act as a turning point. I do have pictures if anyone is interested. My e-mail is roger02@mts.net

I also have some books and CD's for sale still on repair and maintenance of the DS. See the sticky at the top of the DS II forum for details.
Roger

Return to Repair and Improvement