Repair of sideck carlin/stringers

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Repair of sideck carlin/stringers

Postby jackal » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:05 pm

I saw a few of those tools at Home Depot today. Dremel makes a nice one.

Cutting flush with the deck means i'd be cutting two sides of box out (essentially all of it) instead of just the bottom (one side), right? Cutting out two sides sure would make surface prep easier. Seems like it'd be tight quarters trying to clean/sand three sides (inside) of a two inch square.

I also checked out the red oak. 2"x1"x8' seemed kinda stiff. Should I cut these down so they are easier to bend/curve? I'd hate to squeeze all the thickened epoxy out of the joints having to use clamps. Or is that even a big issue as long as I have wetted out all sufaces with unthickened epoxy.
jackal

Re: Repair of sideck carlin/stringers

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:51 pm

Yes, by all means cut it all out. It will be much easier to clean and prep, as you say. It sounds like you're on the right track with using thickened epoxy and wetting out the surfaces first with un-thickened. I don't think you can squeeze too much of the thickened epoxy out to be a problem. Yes, if it's too stiff to bend, it would be no problem to slice it and laminate it out of smaller pieces.

I think that this wire wheel, that learned about about on the West Systems website, might be useful for cleaning and prepping after you cut out the old stuff http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Drill-Moun ... B00755WIVW . I've used it and it really cleans old fiberglass up fast for prepping the surface for epoxy.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement