trailer modifications

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

trailer modifications

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 18, 2000 1:00 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mast support while trailering. I'm currently lashing it to the bow and cabin top while supporting it aft by lashing it to a paddle secured to the transom. I'd be interested in modifying the trailer to carry the mast or at least come up with a better way of securing it to the boat. I'm afraid I'm going to damage it if I continue my present technique.

Russell Hobbs (rhobbs-at-hargray.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 19, 2000 1:00 am

The boat I bought this year was set up as follows: One end rests in a support that was hooked into the transom just like the rudder is connected. The other end is supported by a board that is connected to the trailer tongue and the winch mast. It runs up above the front of the boat. The mast is completely above the boat.

Mike Hastings (hastinml-at-co.forsyth.nc.us)

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 19, 2000 1:00 am

I have a similar setup on my trailer. The winch mast extends about 3 feet beyond the winch, and has a cradle at the top to secure the mast. On the aft end, another cradle attatches to the rudder pintles. The mast clears the top of the cuddy by about 8 inches. I would think it an easy modification to make. Check out some of the photos on this site...you may get some ideas. Good luck!

Stan (stank-at-trib.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2000 1:00 am

My trailer doesn't have a "winch mast" but the previous owner made a support that cradles the mast out of PVC pipe. The vertical support fits in the hole in the cuddy and is notched to fit on the mast step. There is a section of pipe on top of the post that was made from a "T" fitting cut to fit the mast. A bolt slides throught the pipe inside the cabin and keeps the pipe from bouncing around and falling off the step. If we are going any distance, I loop a line around the foot of the mast and tie it to the winch to limit the mast flexing and bouncing. In addition, a second line is looped around the mast at the support and tied off where the stays attach to the boat.

At the stern the lights are mounted on a 2X4 that stands on padded blocks to clear the coaming. The mast is supported by another vertical 2X4 that attaches to the horizontal piece with a couple of close fitting cross pieces heavy rubber shock cords. The mast travels approximately parallel to the ground. (above hood height of following vehicles!) I use the main sheet and a couple of additional lines to the S & P cleats and top gudgeon for stability.

This all sounds fairly complex but it works fine, so I just used it.

Barry (bfk-at-sdcity.sannet.gov)

Return to Repair and Improvement