Support DSI for painting

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Support DSI for painting

Postby pnichols » Sun May 13, 2007 10:44 pm

OK, I am about to take the plunge and get my DSI off the trailer and turned over and on saw horses for hull painting.

From what I have read on this site 4-5 able people should be able to do this.

My questions is: will the hull be properly supported with one saw horse under the bow and another supporting the stern? I looks like the hull should be strong enough for this and should not be stressed but I would like to hear what experiences other people have had with their boats inverted.

Thanks
Paul Nichols
DSI 2383
pnichols

Postby jpclowes » Mon May 14, 2007 4:47 pm

I never used saw horses, but I sanded the bottom of the boat with it resting on a bucket (one of those heavy duty ones you get at Home Depot,) and a couple of milk crates in the stern quarters. It was just fine. I'm told that as long as the cuddy cabin-top is off the ground the boat is fine. The cabin-top is not strong enough to support the weight of the boat.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

careening it is another option

Postby Roger » Mon May 14, 2007 7:54 pm

I careened mine onto a couple of old life jackets at the gunwale. I did it by myself, painted one side, let it dry, then careened it to the other side the next day, and did the other side. I did the whole job standing up, without having to bend over.

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... PhotoID=96
Roger

paint

Postby adam aunins » Tue May 15, 2007 9:28 am

Hi Paul What paint or finnish are you going to use? I'm going to refinnish my top side in the next year or two and have read most of the post on this. So I would like to hear what product you use, the application proses, how it comes out, and what you think of it. Thanks if you can
adam aunins

Postby djd » Tue May 15, 2007 10:11 pm

I rolled mine over using a heavy duty engine hoist ("cherry picker") with a big block in the hook. I tied a "stout" rope around the mid section just aft of the cuddy and passed it through the block. This worked pretty good - but it was a little exciting to hear the rope stretch and the hull creak as it lifted off the trailer...

I should have used a line that didn't stretch as much as the one I used did. Even with the rope tied short as possible, and the hoist up all the way, the rope stretched enough to allow the rub rail to bump against the legs of the hoist as it rolled around. Had to "muscle" it up over the legs.

Once rotated, I set it back on the trailer with a padded saw horse holding up the front and the back resting on the trailer. This way I could roll it in and out of my building to do the heavy sanding outside.
Dennis
djd

Postby pnichols » Tue May 15, 2007 10:16 pm

adam aunins

I was recommended the two-part Interlux ployurethane gloss finish by our yard here in Santa Cruz, CA. He used the same paint on his small boat and said it looked and wore great. However, it is not cheap!!

So right now the plan is to use snow white (YHB000) on the hull (it is already white) and platinum (THA183) on the interior (with a flattening agent). He recommended both paints for interior and exterior because of their wear n'tear ability. While this paint is expensive I think my labor (sanding, prep, painting) is worth it so I don't have to do this again for a long time.

I also am going to more research on the Interlux Ployurethane Gloss Finish with Teflon for the interior but I don't know much about it yet.

If anyone else has paint opinions, please fell free to chime in.

I probably won't get it done until the end of June so I will let everyone know how it went.
Paul Nichols
DSI 2383
pnichols

System Three

Postby MarcCram » Tue May 15, 2007 11:43 pm

First a quick disclaimer. I'm not employed or funded/sponsored by System Three in anyway/shape/form. This is just my $0.02!

I was looking at the Interlux two part but decided on System Three's WR-155 Primer and WR-LPU Top Coat instead for two reasons. They can be applied with a spray gun and only the 3M organic respirator, $27.00 at Lowe's, is needed, no SCUBA gear here. And it cleans up with water (something the Interlux might do but didn't read it when I looked in to it).

Since I am doing a major restoration job it also "self primes", over their epoxies. I am still going to use the WR-155 Primer.

Again just my $0.02.

Good luck and share your pictures when the job is completed!

Marc
Cherry Hill, NJ

196X DS1 SN 2902
www.marccram.com/daysailer/
MarcCram

Postby pnichols » Wed May 16, 2007 10:04 pm

Marc

Thanks for the feedback. I will let you know what I decide and post pics of the final job.

I have been watching the progression and work on your restoration. I must say that your challenge seems to be a bit larger than mine. I just have basic fill, sand and paint, though I have some wood trim replacement to do. My boat is of similar vinrage and luckily does not have any structural issues. (at least that I have discovered thus far :) ) Even the stringers are in good shape.

Look forward to seeing how our boat turns out as well.
Paul Nichols
DSI 2383
pnichols

Return to Repair and Improvement