Info on adjustable turnbuckles and coaming specs wanted.

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Info on adjustable turnbuckles and coaming specs wanted.

Postby Thomas P. Bews » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:46 pm

Hey All:
Have a few questions on rigging and coamings. Can anybody recommend good turn buckles that are easy to adjust for the shrouds. The ones I have now are the type with six or seven holes that you pin in the position you want. The problem is that the stays are slightly different length and one side is always tigher than the other with no way to adjust the tension equally.
I would like to get some measurements of some unaltered coamings. I have to fabricate new ones as my original ones are decayed and hacked all to pieces. The measurements I really need are the distance the original coaming rises above the side deck level and how wide the coaming should be toward the stern of the boat. I am going to cut the front part of the new coaming down to accomodate hiking room for two people. Yeah, I want the boat to look pretty and as close to original as possible, before I beat it up racing. I may be slow, but want to look good while everyone passes by!!! :wink:

Tom
Thomas P. Bews

shroud adjustment

Postby Michael Schreibman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:46 am

I have a method of only adjusting the wires ONCE, and after that, I can set up my Daysailer in seconds, being sure that the settings are exactly the same each time.
1. go to the North sails tuning guide for daysailers.
2. attach a tape to the main halyard and hoist it.
3.Make sure the the shrouds are set for equal length by measureing the distance to the chain plates from the top of the mast.
4. bring the tape to the transom and measure the distance to the transom as in the tuning guide.
5. slide the mast butt foreward or back to get the correct setting. If the mast won't go back far enough, pull some bend in it by attaching the mainsheet to the main halyard, and put a little aft bend in it.
6. now shorten your adjusters till they just fit, checking that the side to side length is equal.
7. Finally, attach the jib halyard to your trailer winch and pull the mast foreward till the forestay reaches the pin hole, and pin it.
If you have done it correctly, the mesurment from the masthead to the transom will be correct, the side to side adjustments will be correct, your mast will have the correct rake and prebend, and the rig will be very very snug. (much more then you are used to, but reccomended by north)
Final adjustments to mast rake with the forestay adjustment can be made once you have sailed the boat and helt the helm balance. A longer forestay should produce more weather helm, and visa versa.
I hope this helps.
Mike
Michael Schreibman
Michael Schreibman

Postby calden » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:14 am

Tom:

I'll be able to trace my coamings for you tomorrow or Monday if no one has come up with the dimensions by then. These coamings are one of the nicest features of the DSI.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Coaming Dimensions

Postby MarcCram » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:23 pm

Carlos,
Any luck with the tracings? I do have to replace my rear coaming as I only have about half of it left and today I received a nice new 60"x8"x1" piece of genuine mahogany. I just don't know exactly how high I need to make it.

Thanks!
marc

Cherry Hill, NJ
1968 DS1 2902
MarcCram

Postby calden » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:18 pm

Marc:

I traced the rear coaming for you. Well, I kind of did a rubbing up against the edge, then traced the rubbing line. It's accurate enough if you use it as a rough guide and do the initial cuts proud by 1/2" then shape it downward.

As I was doing this I realized that just sending a jpg of a photo probably wouldn't be good - there would be some lens distortion, and you want the nice curve to work from. How about I just send you the tracing? You can either put your snailmail address in a reply here or, if you don't want your residence displayed for all Daysailers to see, email me privately with it. It'll get to you in a few days.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Repair and Improvement