centerboard jambed - problems

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

centerboard jambed - problems

Postby duane-boat » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:00 pm

I have a 1973 DS-II - on a trailer, when I trailer it - the centerboard bounces a little bit (there is nothing supporting it) eventually, the wire cable to pull it up gets jambed between the centerboard and the centerboard box walls.

Result: I have to pull the centerboard, fix the cable, and try again. Anybody have any suggestions on how to resolve this?

happens every every 3rd or 4th time out. I think I need an extra "bunk" on the trailer.. or something... But I'm looking for examples of what others have done to resolve this problem so I can learn from their mistakes.... Err.. wisdom...

-Duane.
duane-boat

cb support

Postby Roger » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:44 am

I used a keel roller on the mid beam of the trailer to rest the cb on during travel. Just let off the pressure on the uphaul to allow it to rest, the snug it up a bit so the wire does not bounce around.

Just remember to raise the cb before launching. It is always embarassing to have the cb deploy between the beams of the trailer essentially locking the boat in place while thousands watch at the ramp! :oops:
Roger

Postby duane-boat » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:38 am

Hmm that is tough - My trailer does not have a cross member at that position. It has two - one towards the bow, and one at the transom. And two really long bunks on either side.

The trailer I have is *WAY* oversized....

sort of like this: http://www.magictilt.com/products/trailer-btv.htm

The only thing right under the CB is the axle. I do not think that would be a good thing to mount it on, reason: There would be no spring left from the axle leaf springs... all of the energy from the road bump would be transfered directly into the bottom of my boat. That - would be a really bad thing.

-Duane.
duane-boat

Postby calden » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:14 am

Duane:

I had the same problem with my trailer. I made a centerboard support out of a webbing strap.

I screwed in two pieces of aluminum, brackets if you will, about 2"x3" (leftover from a previous project) to the bottom of each bunk right where I wanted the cb supported. I left the outer end of each bracket unscrewed so it was pulled away from the bunk about 1/4". I ran about 4 or 5 loops of webbing strap between these two brackets, forming a supporting cradle for the cb.

Really, any kind of attachment on the bottom of your bunk will hold a strap of some type. The centerboard is not that heavy so you don't need a trailer cross member.

In using a strap, however, you should be checking it from time to time for stretching, then tighten it up, to keep support for the cb.

Much simpler in reality than my tortured words make it seem. If it's not clear I can provide pictures.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby duane-boat » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:24 pm

Yes, pictures would be nice...

I need to take pictures of how I put my tabernacle in - I've seen a number of others who have asked about it. I like others - do not have the strength and grip to single hand the mast.

It is very easy to put one in.

-Duane.
duane-boat

Postby calden » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:40 am

Here's a picture of the centerboard support strap:

You can see I've made little "brackets" out of scrap pieces of aluminum, and screwed them to the underside of the bunk. I then wrapped a strap several turns from bracket to bracket. Having a buckle is important because it allows you to tighten this thing up when it stretches. You can see the centerboard is resting fully on the strap.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby duane-boat » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:34 pm

Perfect picture. Thank you very much.
duane-boat

Return to Repair and Improvement