led nav lights

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

led nav lights

Postby Daniel Westfall » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:59 pm

Does anyone out there have a link to where you can get the lights 'LED' and wiring schematics for building your own navigation lighting system. The costs for marine lights is out of this world and it can be done very cheaply if we can get a good site for information. 12 volt of course.
Thanks.
Sea Dragon
Daniel Westfall

nav light circuit

Postby Roger » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:46 pm

I am not sure if I am understanding your question properly, because a nav light system is really quite simple. Your question may be more technical than my answer, so I appologize if I misread it.

Starting at a battery you run a negative wire (ground) to the neg pole on both your lights assuming you are using a combination bow light that takes only one bulb. You still need to buy the fixtures, but you can usually do this for under $50 for both bow and stern fixtures.

Starting at your battery you run a positive wire through a 3A fuse, to a switch, then to the pos pole on each light. Its that simple.

If you want to replace the bulbs with LEDs, ensure you have CG approved LED bulbs visible at 2nm and that they fit in the housing. There are not many out there that meet this regulation. Most incandescent bulbs are either 1156 or 1157 and you can find matching LEDs, but these 'automotive hardware' variety are typically directional in nature and would not meet the CG regulation. They are meant for car tail lights.

If you want to wire in your compass, run the leads from it to the pos (after the switch) and neg wires. When you flip the switch, all your lights will come on. If you are wiring in a steaming light, you need a 3 pole switch (on-off-on) so that one side runs the bow light and stern light, and the other runs the bow light and steaming light.
Roger

LED lights

Postby Daniel Westfall » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:16 pm

Hi Roger,
Thanks for the reply. I am interested in making my own lighting system. Buying LED (Diods) lights (around $1.25 each) and proper resistors. I read where someone bought the standard lights and mountings (used) and took them apart and put the LEDs in the place of the standard bulb (which draws a lot of power) and the LEDS draw about .02 MA. Sorry for the lack of information in the first message. I do plan on putting switches on all the lights for all occasions i.e. anchoring, sailing at night and seeing around the boat at night if I decide to sleep in the boat or just want to be seen from afar.
Sea Dragon
Daniel Westfall

Postby MarcCram » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:40 pm

Daniel,
There are a few sites that sell bulk LEDs but you want to make sure you meet the CG's 2 nautical mile requirement before you go out at night.

Here is a link to Annex I - 33 CFR Part 84 (POSITIONING AND TECHNICAL DETAILS OF LIGHTS AND SHAPES)
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/wais ... 84_04.html
That should help you in designing your housings.

Superbrightleds.com sells many types of LEDs including 360 degree leds with a phosphorescent coating and 1 Watt square base LEDs. I've purchased from them before and always had great service.

If you are also looking to make cabin lights, don't forget to pick a color that is pleasing to the eye at night and seal them in epoxy after you make all connections at the "bulb" (since trailering can induce loads of vibration on the boat).

I too was looking a replacing my 60's era Perko navigation lamps after the boat is finished (which is taking much longer then I expected), and can't believe the prices of LED hardware.

Hope this helps in your quest!

Marc
DS1 2902
MarcCram

Postby markst95 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:58 pm

Whats wrong with using portable led nav lights? Alot cheaper and much easier to install.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=236
markst95

LED Nav lights

Postby Daniel Westfall » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:20 am

Mark,
Thanks for the reply on West Marine. I looked up the lights and they seem like the best way to go. Battery life on LED's are LONG TIME and I like the idea of being easily removed and stored away.

Do you know of any large LED spot or flood lights for coming into the dock or shore at night. Either marine battery or replaceable batteries?
Thanks.
Sea Dragon
Daniel Westfall

NAV lights

Postby Daniel Westfall » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:52 pm

Mark,

Thanks for the West Marine tip. I went there today and they looked great and will work well with my application. I bought the set that glues on a base and then you insert the light and secure it with a clip. They float also.

The price was right in that I would not have to run wiring and make hook ups and so on. They meet all the state requirements and also coast guard needs.

I am trying to figure out how to attach a mast assembly with the same lights. Maybe build a bracket to put half way up the mast that can be reached when standing on the deck.

Now I can sail at night and anchor safely without getting cited for improper lighting.

Dan
Daniel Westfall

Return to Repair and Improvement