what about this crack

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

what about this crack

Postby klrgreen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:05 pm

is a vertical crack in the back wall of the cubby cosmetic or structural? my boat has a long crack in the dividing piece of the cubby that seperates the cockpit from the cubby that runs almost from the floor up to where the bottom of where the hatch board stops...yes it is cracked all the way through. can i just repair and/or fill this or is it detrimental to the sailing of the boat?
klrgreen

check the hull forward of the centerboard for crack as well

Postby Roger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:43 pm

If it is structural, then there will be damage under the hull just forward of the CB slot as well. This type of damage, although rare would indicate a pretty hard hit on the bottom of the hull, (pounding on a pile or rock) to create that sort of damage on the bulkhead. The bulkead damage alone is likely minor structural and can be mended, but if the hull shoes signs of damage as well, I would be leary of hull integrity.

I'm assuming the crack in in the lower part of the bulkhead rather than what might be caused by a mast dropped on the top of the cabin when being lowered. That damage is also minor structural, but less detrimental to a crack on the structure that stabalizes the CB trunk.
Roger

Return to Repair and Improvement