Damaged mast

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Damaged mast

Postby colibri » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:19 pm

Please, please advise!
I have a 1984 Spindrift 15 fiberglass sailboat and have sailed in Kentucky for 20 years. I am not sure if it falls under the Day Sailor category because it does not look like photos posted.I bought it in Toledo, Ohio...it's pretty rainbow sails are labeled Tallevast, Florida.

Today, while preparing to launch in a new and very congested area, I ran the mast into an overhanging tree branch. The mast is now bowed up near the top. Is there any possibility of repairing it or shall I try to find a new one? It is white aluminum and total length is 21 ft.

I have noticed some crazing in the deck where the tabernacle is attached but think this is not new. The "cuddy" in this boat is completely enclosed.. so I don't know how I would see damage underneath. Only the centerboard housing has a circular access.

Please let me know if anyone has had a simlar situation and what might be done to save this boat. I was ready to pass it over to my son and feel terrible!

Thanks,
Linda Dobbs, Huntington, WV
colibri

Postby jpclowes » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:34 am

I've been told that if a mast is bent, but not buckled, kinked or wrinkled, it can be carefully straightened. However if it is any of the above, it is better to replace it, because a repair will never be as strong as it was originally.

I hope that is good news to you, not bad.

If it is not good news, sorry. Another option might be to get a mast that is for a different boat, (longer, but with the same shape and diamater,) and cut it to size.

Small surface cracks in gel-coat are usually nothing to worry about. Usually these occur because the gel-coat is less flexable than the fiberglass underneath--which provides the actual strength. Something deeper, involving the underlaying fiberglass is an issue.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Damaged mast

Postby colibri » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:31 pm

Thanks for reply.
I have created a cradle of 2x6's, 16 ' long and am using carpenter clamps to bring the mast in line. The bend seems to be at the top 1/3 of the mast , but there is no crinkling or noticeable kink, just a bow. I have been able to pull it nearly straight but do notice there is a slight bow even so.

I am leaving it in this shape for awhile. I have since read that sometimes you can place the mast over a tire (back tire of our CRV might work) and gently coax it back. My worry is about weakening of the mast. I have never sailed it heeled to the gunnels but am afraid that my son will want to.

We rarely will sail in stiff winds anymore (a trip to Blue Lake Michigan cured me of that) but this little boat is much loved by the whole family.

If I have to buy a new mast, how would I tell if there was any damage to the post underneath the deck. I can't see it. I don't know who made the mast..its oval with the main groove...all hardware is Kenyon.

I've been trying to track the Spindrift 15 boat..seems it was early on made by Rebel and then moved to Florida and disappeared after 1987. There don't seem to be used ones for sale. We found it stable, and very roomy.

Here's hoping I'm successful in getting her back in the water.

Linda
colibri

Return to Repair and Improvement