Leak at Centerboard, I Think

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Leak at Centerboard, I Think

Postby Woden » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:29 pm

I got a Daysailor II back in March. I have been sailing it in August and Sept. On Labor Day I sailed for about 3 hours and when I got back I drained 10 gallons out of the "sealed centerboard trunk area". This summer I stripped painted the hull and saw no cracks or holes. I assume that the leak is comming from the centerboard pivot bolt. This is extreemly difficult to access as I can not see it. Any advice on how to go about replacing this bolt/washer combination or maybe a link to a topic where this has been discussed. 3.33 gal./hr seems to me to be a large leak. Even so I will cintinue to sail her till November, then haul her home for winter and spring repairs/upgrades.

Thanks for the advice,

Pete[/b]
Pete
Woden

CB leak

Postby adam aunins » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:36 pm

Go to http://www.bobhunkins.com/mt-archives/c ... ticles.htm look at DS2 center board trunk leaks, it should help out. plus there are many more topics for you to read. I learned a good bit reading those pages.
adam aunins

Also check front of centerboard slot

Postby kellyima » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:16 pm

One other possible cause of a leak is a small crack developing in the front of the centerboard slot. My boat developed this problem in the middle of last season. During off season it got patched by my marina and I've gotten only a little water since. If you're trailering the boat, look underneath for drips and trace it back to source.
kellyima

Postby Woden » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:25 am

Thanks for the input. No drips under the trailer so I guess it's off to the pivot bolt.

Does anyone out there feel that a pivot bolt leak can leak 3.33gal/hr.?
Seems like an a lot to me.

Pete
Pete
Woden

fast leak

Postby Roger » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:53 pm

I emailed you directly with a source for replacement rubber seals, and that is a cheap and recommended fix anyhow, given the age of these boats.

The rate of leak has me thinking however that you may be getting water in thrugh a gap that likely exists between the cb trunk side of the uphaul that is inside the slot, and the hole that exits into the cuddy nearest the floor.

Age deteriorated fg filler between the two fg hulls, and eventually falls out leaving a hole. While underway water piles up infront of the cb and enters the first hole, then leaks between the two hulls into the bilge.

The fix is in my book, but essentially involves inserting a plastic plumbing nipple 1" long into the enlarged and threaded holes. Do a search on the archives, and there is a slightly different fix using a brass pipe, but essentially with the same results.
Roger

Postby Woden » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:17 pm

Thanks Roger,
I'll try the Centerboard pivot seals. If that does not fix it I'll look at the down haul line.
I have got to et it sealed up. Water ballest on the wrong side when the boat is heeled.

Pete
Pete
Woden

Return to Repair and Improvement