genoa's

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

genoa's

Postby thomas » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:58 pm

Why do I never see mention of a genoa for the daysailer? I've mostly sailed on larger boats which all had genoa's, it seems like a natural for smaller boats too. I suspect it may have to do with limiting cost of sail inventory AND with class rules. Question is, would a design specific build of a genny for the DS be a good sail for cruising/racing or superfilous? All I ever see, on sights that make one design sails and this forum, are mains, jibs and spinnakers. Any thoughts?

thomas
thomas

DRS

Postby Roger » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:01 pm

I had a drifter reacher spinnaker that I used on mine for very light wind days. It worked exceptionally well in increasing boat speed from 1or 2 knots with jib and main to 5 or 6 knots with DRS and main. It was headed by a block at the top of the mast, and a short leash to the tack at the stemhead ahead of the forestay, and the sheets went back to blocks on the aft quarters.
Roger

Postby Bob Damon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:47 am

Our class rules for racing limit the size of the jib sail so a genoa is not allowed. Other than that you are free to use one for cruising. I had one for an earlier Day Sailer I owned to use for cruising and off the wind it helped, however up wind performance was poor. Be aware however that a larger headsail puts more stress on the standing rigging. If you have a DSII you should upgrade to larger chainplates.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Return to Repair and Improvement