Cup Holder

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cup Holder

Postby kellyima » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Has anyone improvised or purchased cupholders for their DS. I bought some from West Marine, but the plastic hook immediately broke off.

It's trivial, but something that's always bugged me.

Thanks
kellyima

Postby algonquin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:41 pm

When I had my Magregor Venture Newport 23 I had a pair of gimbaled cup holders mounted in the cockpit. Try a search for this type of cup holder. Also you could use a small plastic car center console like the ones in auto parts at places like Walmart. This could be mounted and has built in cup holders. Another option would be to mount a pair of, don't laugh, tin cans large enough to hold the beverage you are considering. A little custom paint and fasten through the bottom of the can or high in the can near the rim.
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby algonquin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:47 pm

Hamilton Marine (hamiltonmarine.com) sells a gimbaled type cup holder similar to the ones I had on my Magregor above. Part # S&J-960026 $17.99 each.

They also sell a recessed drink holder. Part # BEC-GH33WI $2.99 each.
Cut a hole in your seat (s) and fasten them in or use a sealer adhesive.
I think I'll be getting a few of these as they look to be handy storage for more than just drinks.

Cheers !! :lol:
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Wait Wait, I've been there with the cup holders

Postby Roger » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:25 pm

Get yourself a pair of 3 or 4" white ABS water pipe connectors from your local plumbing supply store. About an inch down from the lip on one edge drill a 3/8" hole and immediately opposite drill a 3/16" hole. Reach in through the large hole with a screwdriver and apply a ss screw through the small hole into the bulkhead near the cockpit floor corner of the seat. Place the cupholder so it is about an inch off the cockpit floor. This way it won't gather debris, and if it does, washes out easily. This is a great holder for insulated can holders of your favorite beverage. It also holds a glass of your favorite island cocktail just as well. Cheap, easy, and it even looks nautical. Unfortunately it does not gimbal.

Roger

Good beverage holder option.

Postby pdx568 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:52 am

You should try the Bar-Buoy brand. They are cheaper, and work well, actually quite sturdy. I've had them on everything from a canoe to a bicycle handle-bar (for my Starbucks, of course...).

Here's a link, but you should be able to find them at your local marine/sporting good store...

http://www.marine-products.com/boat_par ... _steel.jsp

Cheers...!
pdx568

Return to Repair and Improvement