Hull leaks while boat moored at marina

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hull leaks while boat moored at marina

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 05, 2000 12:00 am

I will be keeping my "new" 1979 Daysailor II moored in the water this summer. Am concerned about where there might be sources of leaks while boat moored (not including obvious cracks in hull :) ). Do the cockpit and bildge drain fittings have any history of leaking due to internal cracks or leaking around the fitting? What about the centerboard pivot bolt? Will the bolt be under the waterline with the boay sitting idle?

Thank you

Steve Parsons (ramblerdrver-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2000 12:00 am

WOW! Another 1979 DS II, I keep my 1979 DS II, "SUNBIRD" on a mooring all summer long and have had few problems. The areas to keep an eye on are; 1) Hull bilge drain-plug (little plastic or metal plug and socket on transom, below waterline.) 2) The cockpit drain fitting, be sure it is not leaking into the hull, mine never has in the 4 seasons I've owned her. 3) Cuddy drain holes, on aft bulkhead of cuddy. Mine had cracked at joint between the cockpit molding and the cuddy-liner molding. Also if you have any leaks inside the cuddy, water tends to back up from cockpit into cuddy in a heavy downpour annd will leak into hull through any leaks in cuddy "floor". 4)Centerboard pivot, has not leaked on my boat...but you can tighten the bolt to stop a leak if needed. The CB pivots on a plastic (nylon?, delrin?, ??) bearing that is longer than the CB is thick. I think that the pivot bolt is at the waterline when the boat is on a mooring.
Oh, one other source of leaks into the hull, the 2 instection/bailing ports in the cockpit sole! I replaced both of them on my boat because they had such a fine thread that it was hard to open/close them, well that and the fact that one had a hole in it! Oh, water can leak in through the "icebox/cooler" on the port side of the cockpit, mine had cracks in it, easy to fix with a little fiberglass tape and epoxy!

Do you need a copy of the owners manual? I can copy mine (1 11x17 sheet) if you need one.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement