Rubber marks on hull

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rubber marks on hull

Postby gary l. britton » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:35 pm

Hi to all:

My dear old DS I and I had a little trouble retrieveing the boat from the lake a couple of weeks ago. In the process of getting the boat on the trailer, which was a real chore due to the fairly high winds that day. When getting th boat on the trailer, I got many black marks on the hull (baby blue) from the rollers of the trailer. Can anyone help with finding something that will help get the black smudges off. I think I have read something about this problem in the past, but cannot seem to find it in the archives.

Also is their anything that I can use to get the oxidation off the hull before I attempt to give the old girl a good wax job over the winter and attempt in my feeble way, to make her look better for next season. Hopefully the weather gods will be in my favor on Sunday, and I may, just may get one more sail in before I take the mast down for the winter.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary
1966, DS I
"Dancing Girls II", #3235
gary l. britton

Postby Phill » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:50 pm

For just the rubber type marks, Acetone works good on the gel coat.

If your hull is a faded color, please post a ' how to restore gel coat color' thread and I will post an answer tomorrow. Or try a search, I may have already posted my process on this forum in the past.
Teaser: I was able to get a very faded old blue hull to look nearly new, and 5 shades deeper than when I bought it.

phill
'66 DSI GS Lollipop
Phill

rubber marks on hull

Postby gary l. britton » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:47 am

Phill:

Thanks for the reply. One question about acetone. Doesn't acetone soften the gelcoat? Seems like I read something abouat that on a previous thread? I will do a search on restoring the hull, but I will have to do it later, as I am at our lake house and the computer is extremely slow and frustrating to work with. If I do not fine it, I will post for you.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Gary
1966, DS I
gary l. britton

rubber marks on hull

Postby gary l. britton » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:06 am

Phill:

Even though this little computer is slow, I think that I found a reply from you to "Fearless", on Aug. 6, 2005, about restoring the color to the hull. I remember reading it in the past, as you mentioned "penetrol" for use on the hull. Is this the method that you are recommending?

Later I will go ahead and post a new thread for your reply.

Thanks again.

Gary
1966, DS I
gary l. britton

Postby algonquin » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:09 pm

Soft Scrub kitchen/bath cleaner took the black smudges of my old white DS1.
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

mr clean magic eraser

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:16 pm

for the black rubber marks. Wet or dry.

As for the acetonee apply scrub and rinse with water. It will soften the gelcoat after a bit, but you are going to rinse it off before it damages it.
Roger

Thanks

Postby gary l. britton » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Thanks to all of you that have replied. Looks like I will be pretty busy for a while. Appreciate all your help.

Gary
1966, DSI
'Dancing Girls II', #3235
gary l. britton

Return to Repair and Improvement