Cuddy Modification

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cuddy Modification

Postby algonquin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:18 pm

Has any one has modified their cuddy roof to make access to the mast jack and stowed gear a little easier.

I have a DS1 with an open cuddy face but still find it a bit of a challenge getting to the mast jack and to the bow storage lockers and even more so backing out of the cuddy. I have had complete hip replacements, both left and right, and although there is no pain I have found my mobility is a little limited coming up out of the cuddy and clearing the forward section of the center board trunk. I have considered opening a small arc or half circle on the cuddy roof to allow me to step partially into the cuddy. I would reenforce the opening and trim it out to look somewhat stock. (Going to repaint this spring anyway and have experience working with fiber glass).

I often sail single handed and did add a tabernacle after reading some posts early on and that was great help. Thought the cuddy modification would also help.

Do you know of any pictures of this mod ?
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby calden » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:57 pm

algonquin:

I hear you. I always seem to get myself stuck in the cuddy when dealing with the forward flotation chamber. I can get in there okay but find it hard to back myself out over those thwarts. I'm on the fat side of physique form, but it seems to be more my knees and elbows and feet that get stuck in the thwarts.

It's theoretically possible to modify any part of this boat - you COULD open up an arc, as you say, and reinforce the edges with a number of materials (I think the deck ribs on my DSI are rebar), and you could install extra rib stringers for further support. However, you still might be compromising the structural integrity of the deck. This would have serious ramifications! It would also severely affect resale value, I'm sure, if that's at all important to you.

If I were to want that kind of access in a boat this size I'd just go get a different boat that could accommodate what I want to do. That cuddy was made for children and 5-gallon porta-potty buckets as far as I'm concerned. It sounds like a project that woudn't be worth the trouble unless you're in total love with this boat.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

oil canning possibilities

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:00 am

I agree with Carlos, cutting out an arc, even if you reinforced it with an internal rib just forward of the arc would still weaken the bulkhead. The bulkhead, structurally, would keep the gunwales from folding up towards the center due to mast compression forces. The current arc of the bulhead spreads this load out across the bulkhead and down each side of it to the gunwales. Remove an arc and the stress transfers to the ribs in the cuddy roof, which do not arc down to the gunwales.

I moved to a sitting headroom boat for the same reason. I wanted to do more camping aboard.
Roger

Postby Phill » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:49 am

On my boat, I know that any removal of material from the cuddy top, deck or rear edge would considerably weaken the strength needed for the forces of the mast and shroulds, pushing and pulling. Many of the racers have found that the structure of the older DS 1's, pre-DS 2's, is always in need of beefing up to keep the hull stiff for optimum preformance.

Any Modification that removed material from the cuddy or deck, would violate the class rules, rendering that hull illegal for any future racing use. Only reinforcment would be allowed, and this usually involves additional structure, futher reducing the usefulness and access of the cuddy area

However, if you have no plans to use your hull for racing and will never sell it as a 'class legal' Day Sailer, then enjoy your boat.

phill
Phill

Postby algonquin » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:45 pm

Thank you for all the input. I was a little concerned about removing structure for the reasons you folks have stated. My DS1 is open all across the cuddy face from the cockpit (no bulkheads) so the cuddy roof does provide rigidity and stability to the hull. There are no thwarts either to provide any stiffness. The amount of cuddy roof I planned on removing is minimal but at this point I am rethinking my plan. Maybe the Docs can install a better backing up system on these titanum hip joints. :lol:

Either way I intend to keep my DS1 to use on the multiple lakes near my home. Its quick and easy to setup and launch. Many of the boat ramps I use are very rustic and basic and don’t make it easy to launch a larger cabin type sailboat. I don’t really desire a cabin anyway. I enjoy my DS1 as it is nearly perfect for my intended uses and it is definitely a nice looking sailboat. And at $500 for boat, sails, and trailer, I am very happy with it. :wink:
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby Bob Damon » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:22 pm

Just to echo what Phill said above, any modifications may may the hull illegal. If you have something in mind and want to chat first, contact me on my home email at nomadbob@aol.com.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby algonquin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:34 pm

Hi Bob - I would keep any hull modifications to a minimum with mainly safety and structural integrity in mind. The odds of actually participating in a class type race are virtually none in my case. There just isn't an opportunity to race with other DS class boats in a sanctioned event any where near me and the interest to travel long distances just isn’t in me. I’d rather be sailing than motoring down the highway with DS in tow.

I will be running in three open class BBQ races this summer on East Grand Lake, Maine(or Canada depending on your perspective) but those races are pretty much a run what you brung event. Mostly for fellowship with a handful of other sailors and a variety of sail boats from throughout the region. Fellowship and bragging rights along with a great BBQ is what they offer for a reward.

My DS1 is mostly setup for personal enjoyment. I have modified my mast with a tabernacle, added a bow pulpit, a few builtins for day outings, and equipped her to fish as the need arises. Although I may add another sail boat or two to my inventory this DS1 is pretty much a permanent member of the family.
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby Bob Damon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:36 pm

Stiffening and structural reinforcement is fine. Anything that changes the exterior lines of the hull, deck, or seat tanks is prohibited. Have fun, Bob
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Return to Repair and Improvement