fiber glass cloth or glass matting

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

fiber glass cloth or glass matting

Postby adam aunins » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:00 pm

I need to do some glass repair work on some fiber glass ladders and I was wondering if glass cloth, (the woven kind) is easyer to work with than the glass matting. I'm trying to keep the repair as thin as possible. I just think that the cloth would be less mess to work with. Have you used both and what are your thoughts on this?
adam aunins

I've used both for different purposes

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:34 pm

Each has its strengths. The mat is more waterproof than the cloth, but the cloth has greater linear strength in two directions. The mat is rougher and thicker so is better for building up a void. Cloth creates a nicer finish sooner. Mat shapes better than cloth over irregular surfaces. Boat builders will alternate cloth and mat layers, so from the outisde in, they would spray gelcoat onto a waxed mold, then mat, then cloth, then mat, then cloth laid diagonally to the first layer. Cloth tends to show its weave is it is the layer directly below the gelcoat. Cloth is typically easier to work with.

Tell us what kind of damage you are repairing and where it is on your boat and we may be able to give you better direction as to both material and technique. For example going around tight radius corners typically calls for a particular weight of cloth laid on the bias.
Roger

Postby adam aunins » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:53 am

Working on ladders used around the house not on the boat. They have some cracks from tie down straps being put orver them and then being tightened to much. I did one with glass mat that we had laying around but the matting was far to heavy of a wieght for what I needed, so I'm going to go get some cloth for the next one.
adam aunins

Return to Repair and Improvement