Windex for Mildew Control

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Windex for Mildew Control

Postby algonquin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:04 am

Fighting mildew can be a problem for most boat owners and I really hadn’t found any miracle way to clean it up. I was reading a book “Take the Mystery Out of Boat Maintenance”. The author says ‘There is a product that removes mildew easily-Windex!”.

The author recommends using it in its off the shelf form with no additives. He goes on to say:

“The secret is knowing how to use Windex. Spray a generous amount of Windex on the moldy or mildewed seam or area, but do not wipe it off. Let it stay WET for about ten minutes (spray more if necessary). In ten or fifteen minutes, the undesirable substance will either bubble to the surface or will be ready to be wiped off with a paper towel or rag. On particularly stubborn areas, scrub with a toothbrush after the ten minute waiting period, and then wipe it clean”. He goes on to say that “it harms NOTHING” (won’t effect your boats finishes).

I plan to test this out in the spring after I untarp “Feather”.
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Microban kills mold, mildew, etc.

Postby rafdo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:20 am

Microban diluted will kill all mold, mildew, bacteria, etc. & as a result stops odors. Available at most carpet cleaning supply stores. Best deal is Microban QGC? could be QCG? About $20/gal. dilutes 3 oz/gal which makes it last forever. Same price for gal already diluted. Like liquid duct tape. Works every where especially on carpet, home, etc to stop & prevent mold from water damage. Did I mention backyard lawn dog poop & cat urine odors :shock: ?
Richard
rafdo

Return to Repair and Improvement