What Are Your Spring 2008 Projects ?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

What Are Your Spring 2008 Projects ?

Postby algonquin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:31 am

I bought a very well cared for DS1 (#818) in June 07 for $500 with trailer, sails, and an assortment of equipment. Sailed it several times and really enjoyed the capabilities and fun that it offered. I have owned two much larger sail boats and this DS is my favorite. I will be using it for cruising and fishing, and maybe a “run what you brung” race but I won’t be racing it as a class type boat.

I am never satisfied with leaving anything in its factory form and look for ways to improve function and appearance. Thus far I have added a tabernacle, restored the trailer, changed out the running rigging, installed a topping lift, added a drain plug, mended the sails, refinished the anchor, and installed a really nice 1969 3.5 Clinton outboard.

Currently I am nearly finished with restoring the floor boards, wood work, oars, and the original spinnaker pole ( what a neat old piece, brass ends and all).

Future plans before a late May 08 launch include designing and building additional gear compartments to hold camping and fishing equipment. Installing an electrical system with a solar panel charger. Running lights. Bilge pump. AM/FM Cd player. Spot light. New 3 tone paint. Sand hull, Kelly Green deck and seats, and Light Gray interior floor and ceiling. Repairing the wire horse traveler. Adding a bow sprit. Adding some turning blocks on deck. Adding a spinnaker basket launch system. Set of new sails from DR Marine. Applying some custom lettering

Can’t wait for the snow to leave and to take that tarp off. So much to do, so little time. Its making me crazy. But it will be a great summer. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby calden » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:48 pm

I'm waiting for the snow to go as well so I can get to some projects for my DSI and San Juan 21. For the DS I'm putting in spinnaker blocks. I have to route the lines under the deck because I've made and put on hiking pads:
So part of the project is to route the line from the stand-up block to a thru-deck right in front of it, under the side deck foreward to some kind of turning block then to a thru-deck on the coaming, coming out right under the jib track, to some kind of cleat, maybe on the thwart. I have to get in there and look and do a mock-up rigging to check all this out.

The hiking pads make this necessary, but I'm unwilling to ditch those. They let me keep the coamings that I painstakingly sanded and refinished a few years ago, and they're nice to put elbows on while just having a leisurely sail.

For the San Juan 21 I scored a used 130% genoa and need to put in genoa tracks, blocks, and winches and cleats. I guess the spinnaker will be coming next, but that's a lot more expensive so that will probably be next summer.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Tiller

Postby bkafer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:52 am

My Tiller had a crack in it, so I glued that and put in a rod to hold it ( i hope)
so I'm making a spare tiller. I laminated a bunch of 1/2 inch thick wood together. Then cut it into shape and I'm currently sanding it to get a nice smooth handle.
I am also in the process of buffing the hull and will be adding a stripe and painting the bottom.
The list also includes but all may not get done.
Running lights
replace trailer bunks.
Paint the rims
mount the spare somehow and get it out of my trunk.
build a box mount for the battery
reef points ( if I can find someone to do it)
then setup lazy jacks for the sail
and thats just page 1
bkafer

Tiller dimensions

Postby Donal » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:47 pm

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted in awhile, but I got the boat out last week and started some improvements. The first was to remove all the coamings, sand them and apply spar varnish. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

The next thing to address is the tiller & rudder. If you look at the picture:
You may be able to see that the tiller is made out of a 2X4. In lieu of spending the money right now to buy one (I lost my job, that's why I have more time for this project), I may try to make a new tiller. I found where they are supposed to be 48" long, but wondered if anyone has or could take a complete set of measurements for making a new tiller from scratch.
The rudder has other issues, the center has a rectangular section replaced and there is also a big crack you can see on the lower LH side. Time to do some more fiberglass repair.

I would also like to do a battery and some wiring for navigation lights and accessories. Most of the parts I have just laying around waiting for me to organize it all.

Otherwise, I just want to get it in the water. We've had some nice breezes lately.
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

tiller

Postby bkafer » Thu May 01, 2008 6:47 pm

I have a DS 2. The tiller is 48 inches long.
I made a spare by gluing 1/2 inch strips together. The spare is 1 1/4 inches thick. The old one ( the one with the crack ) is 7/8 inch thick
bkafer

Postby Donal » Fri May 02, 2008 2:53 am

The tiller sold by D&R is supposed to be for both models, so the DS2 measurements would be fine. I need to know the depth and width of the cutout for the rudder, along with the start & stop points of the taper, and how wide the handle area is supposed to be.

I have a piece of wood that I want to use for the tiller. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, but it's not likely ash or a similar hardwood. I already cut one piece out of it to replace the transom piece (Douglas Fir). Maybe have some pics tomorrow :)

Thanks for the help.
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

mainsail project

Postby icdoubl » Fri May 02, 2008 10:06 am

I just acquired a DS1 that needs lots of work. It doesn't have a main sail but I was given an old Flying scot mainsail, How are the Mainsails hanked on the mast in the DS1? Does it have a line sewn in the luff that goes up the slot in the mast or are there metal clips that go in the slot? The mast tapers at the top. Does the slot/track that the sail goes in taper as well or is it a consistent size? If I have no luck finding a used sail I may trim the Flying Scot sail. I'm trying to get this boat in the water. I was told it hasn't been sailed in 7-10 years so it needs a few things.

Dan
icdoubl

Postby algonquin » Fri May 09, 2008 12:08 am

YIIPPEEE !!! UPS just dropped of my new main and jib from Rudy at DR Marine. Haven't unboxed them yet. Brad

http://www.drmarine.com/categories.asp?cat=64
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby albanysailer » Fri May 09, 2008 3:22 pm

Just put new tires on my trailer yesterday.

I have also ordered a 55lb. thrust electric MinnKota trolling motor. Thinking about installing a solar panel to keep the battery charged too.
albanysailer

Postby Donal » Sun May 11, 2008 2:16 am

Pictures of refinished coamings and oar.
The transom piece had only one coat which I sanded off and stained to almost match. Here it is after staining with "red mahogany" and one coat of spar varnish.

Tiller work is still ongoing. http://daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2391#8677
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

Postby algonquin » Sun May 11, 2008 11:31 pm

Very nice work Donal. It's attention to details that will really set your boat apart. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Restoring a Day Sailer

Postby sirk98 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi everyone!

I am new to this site/forum....

Just bought what I was told is a 17' Oday Daysailer (I think it is a Oday DS1, based on the pictures I've seen...

Being completely new to boat restoration, any tips on where to get started?

I was thinking about getting a pro over to give me estimates on them doing the work, but I mostly wanted advice on what needs to get done and what should get done to ensure she it seaworthy (possibly hiring a pro as a mentor--anyone here in NJ?)

Another question I had... I understand that DaySailers can capsize (and I should capsize her when I first go out on her to get used to righting her in an emergency)... I was thinking about picking up a motor for her... Is there a special kind to get? I am assuming that gas powered motors are out (spills and all)... Am I correct? We will be in salt water, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance, all!
Kris
sirk98

Re: Restoring a Day Sailer

Postby adam aunins » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:32 pm

sirk98 wrote:Hi everyone!

I am new to this site/forum....

Just bought what I was told is a 17' Oday Daysailer (I think it is a Oday DS1, based on the pictures I've seen...

Being completely new to boat restoration, any tips on where to get started?

I was thinking about getting a pro over to give me estimates on them doing the work, but I mostly wanted advice on what needs to get done and what should get done to ensure she it seaworthy (possibly hiring a pro as a mentor--anyone here in NJ?)

Another question I had... I understand that DaySailers can capsize (and I should capsize her when I first go out on her to get used to righting her in an emergency)... I was thinking about picking up a motor for her... Is there a special kind to get? I am assuming that gas powered motors are out (spills and all)... Am I correct? We will be in salt water, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance, all!
Kris

If you're going to capsize your boat just for the experience I would recommend doing it at the end of a good day of sailing. That way at least part of your day will have been good, some times you can get the boat right back up and other times you just got yourself into a big mess!

P.S. make sure you have a bailing scoop or hand pump to get the water back out of your boat before you take her over.

P.P.S. I don't know how it is on your boat but mine has a thing-a-ma-bob that will keep the rudder from coming off if I turn turtle, make sure you have something to keep your rudder with the boat, having to get a new rudder will really ruin your day/week/year.

As far as checking out your boat goes I would do things in this order.
1. Make sure it will not sink.
2. Check standing rigging. If a side stay lets go in a good wind you can
lose your mast and damage the boat which equals big money.
3. Check your running rigging. Unless you have an outboard it's a lot of
work to get back to shore with a busted main sheet or main halyard.
Even good rope is cheap money wise.

After learning the hard way I always make my first outing of the year a shake down cruse, just me and one friend and I've found that if I plan on a day of working on the boat and fixing things that go wrong instead of a full day of fun and sun that things will go much better. Nothing is worse than showing up at the lake with friends and family and having them stare at you while you work on a boat for half the day or more. That goes for all boats not just sailboats.

Well that's my $.02 hope it helps you some.
adam aunins

Postby sirk98 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:07 am

Great advice!

I guess the guestion becomes:

Should I repair thinkgs that I am pretty sure need attention--like weakspots in the hull (it flexes if you push on it with your thumb in some spots) first, or do I put her in the water and see if she floats first? :-)
--Kris
sirk98

Postby adam aunins » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:51 pm

This is just a guess but unless you can see impact damage in the gel coat that would have caused the glass structure to break dowm then I would think that you might have a problem with blisters in your fiberglass. Remember I'm just throwing stuff out there to think about.
adam aunins

Next

Return to Repair and Improvement