Broken mast step

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Broken mast step

Postby Onyme » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:33 pm

I purchased a 1987 Precision Daysailer 2 1/2 years ago as an upgrade from our Sunfish and a graduation present for myself. The hull is in excellent condition, and I have used the boat several times as a fishing/crabbing platform. However, I am determined that this year, I will finally learn to sail it. In order to do so, however, I think I need to replace the mast step; the corner of it looks to have been broken off at some point. Being a relative sailing neophyte, I have no idea what brand the mast/step is or how to go about finding out, other than posting here. I have posted pictures of the step and the mast itself in my personal gallery; any suggestions as to how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Onyme
East Setauket, NY
14' Sunfish
Precision DS-1
Onyme

Postby adam aunins » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:34 pm

look at D&R marine this is what they have. http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS207
I think your mast is a Dewyer ,don't know if that's spelled right, but I'm not an expert on those things.
adam aunins

Postby Phill » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Looking at your photos, it looks like you have a deck stepped mast.

I think if you carefully bend the flange on the starboard side to match the port side I will hold properly for steping the mast. I think that is the only purpose for the flanges. Whoever bent it probably lost the mast to the side when hingeing the mast aft to take it down. That may have been when the casting broke also.

The base casting is probably useable for up to medium winds as it is. The only purpose of the base is to keep the mast from moving in any direction when the mast is up and the forestay and shrouds are tensioned. With the help of the flanges I think that the compression on the base casting would hold the mast in place for sailing in moderate conditions.

Does your boat have a support under the deck to the keelson to transfer the mast compression from the cuddy top to the keelson?? If not, it would be very desirable to fashion one to take the strain off of the cuddy.

hope this helps
phill
Phill

just to help you along from previous posts

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:02 pm

That would be Dwyer masts, and here is their website:

http://www.dwyermast.com/families.asp?c ... Name=Masts

Just figure out which mast is yours from the dimensions, then go to the hardware for the associated parts.

You can also order DS parts directly from Rudy Nickeson at D and R marine. Rudy was O'Day's parts guy until they folded, at which point he bought out their stock. Here is the D&R marine site that carries the mast steps, if indeed you need a replacement.

http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=123
Roger

Thank you

Postby Onyme » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:29 pm

Thank you all for your help. I'll order a new step ($15 is cheap for peace-of-mind) and try to bend the starboard flange of the tabernacle back. Any suggestions on the best way to do that -- e.g., on or off the boat?

Phill, the mast is deck-stepped, and there is indeed an aluminum extrusion underneath, extending from deck to keelson. Since I have no plans on racing -- just want to learn to sail it -- I'm glad for the deck-mounted step and tabernacle; I shouldn't have any problems rigging the mast by myself.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions over the next several months and years. Looking forward to it! Thanks again.
Onyme
East Setauket, NY
14' Sunfish
Precision DS-1
Onyme

For what its worth, repair it on the boat

Postby Roger » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:45 pm

The damage was created while the step was on the boat, so I would try to bend it back into place while it was on as well. You may as well use the boat for a brace to work against. You will likely have to put it in a vise otherwise, just to get the leverage.

If the area was previously waterproof, then splash a pail of water (garden hose works too) on the finished repair. If it leaks, THEN take it off and add some sealant.
Roger

Return to Repair and Improvement