Cuddy Door Repair and Re-Oil

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cuddy Door Repair and Re-Oil

Postby Sean McGuire » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi Folks,

I am looking for some advice about my cuddy doors. I'm not sure if they are original or not, but I think they are teak plywood. Around some of the edges, the plys are de-laminating or starting to split. Most if not all of the damage seems to have occured before I bought the boat a couple of years ago. I think it spent most, if not all of it's time at a mooring buoy exposed to the elements. I keep it on the trailer under a tarp when I am not sailing it. Anyway I am thinking of gluing the feathered edges back together and giving them a bath in tropical teak oil. Any suggestions as to glue types or repair strategies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean McGuire
1984 DSII "Iona"
Sean McGuire

a new chunk of teak plywood may be cheaper than your repair

Postby Roger » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:51 pm

My doors were about as far gone as what you describe. I went down to the local lumberyard and found a single piece that would cover the hole. Instead of having a split down the middle like the original design, I made some dattoed rails for the sides, and a lip on the bottom of the cuddy opening and made my own slide in companionway hatch board. I added a bend strip that was slightly wider along the top to keep water from dripping in along the inside. The bottom sill was slanted to prevent water from running in. Using a table saw, I cut slits near the top of the door for ventilation. If you plan to sleep in the cuddy (tight fit) glue a patch of screen to the inside of the slanted slits to keep bugs out.

I posted a picture of the detail to my gallery. This would not be a difficult project for the average woodworker with a jig saw, table saw and router.

Lexan is also an option, but the cost is around $80, and you still have to built the sides and sill. I did this on a larger boat and was pleased with the results.
Roger

Postby algonquin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:34 am

I agree with Roger that a replacement may be a better route and is really not costly.

If you decide to work with the door you have I would suggest using a two part epoxy type glue. No matter what glue you use you must be careful not to get it on surfaces that will be exposed to your view as it will effect the look of the oil finish or any other finish you select.

In either case I would put several coats of a quality finish like poly or similar on all surfaces to decrease the chance of future delamination. Also before applying the sealer coat make sure that the wood is absolutely dry so you don’t seal in any moisture. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Return to Repair and Improvement