More mast repair ? for an expert

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

More mast repair ? for an expert

Postby klrgreen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:48 pm

I need an all around expert in boat and mast repair. I have a Catalina Capri 14 and the deck where the foot for the mast goes caved in. The wood underneath that provided support and reduced flexing was rotten and the fiberglass gave way. We made it back ok. I cut it out and cleaned the rotten wood now the repair. I want to stick with polyester/fibre glass and stay away from epoxy. Any help? I can post pics sometime. I have an idea on how to fix it but mu main questions is what materials to seal it with as far as fillers and fiberglass and gel coat and the final product.
any help
thanks
brian
klrgreen

PVC pipe

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:04 pm

Under the floor of my DS II was a fg wrapped 2" PVC pipe that supported a glassed in plywood square about 6" x 6". This was how the original manufacturer did it. I will upload a picture to my gallery.

Roger

Postby klrgreen » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:44 pm

thanks, i have consulted with a local friend but all the advice is gr8. what u have looks pretty simple compared to mine. mine has to be tied to the keel trunk and fore of that to a fiberglass piece that is attached to the floor. i should do pics for b4 and after
klrgreen

Return to Repair and Improvement