Drain Plug location

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Drain Plug location

Postby DS 129 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:31 pm

Tarp blew off in recent storm. Its about time I put in a drain plug to alleviate rain water build up. Boat is early DS1, and never had one. I once had an early Sprite that did have one. I am thinking to put it in just aft of the centerboard trunk, like what was in the Sprite. I will see what might be available at local West Marine that will have least protrusion underside so as not to increase drag. Any comment as to detail like this??
DS 129

Postby algonquin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:01 pm

I added a drain to my early DS1.

What I had read mentioned the location just aft of the CB trunk but I felt it would be better forward at a low spot in the cuddy.

When on the trailer the cuddy position looked like a better location so I went with that. I know you can jack the trailer up and tip the boat back for the aft CB location but personally I don’t like the front of the trailer jacked to high because of kids and animals around.

I added a ½ inch inside diameter nylon thru hull about 6-8 inches aft of the mast step. Placed the threaded end through the hull, put some crazy glue on the threads and tightened the nylon nut. Used a hacksaw blade to trim off the excess threads flush with the nut. Only protrudes about 3/8
inch outside the hull. I hang the plug and a spare on lanyards attached to the mast base.

This worked great. If you take on water sailing you can trailer the boat, pull the plug, and drive off. No special tipping or angles needed. Also when washing the boat down while on the trailer the excess water just runs out. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Return to Repair and Improvement