Tiller fabrication/measurements

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Tiller fabrication/measurements

Postby Donal » Thu May 08, 2008 5:46 pm

I asked this question here: http://daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2284 but haven't got a full answer yet.

Does someone have (or will take) a set of measurements for me to fabricate a replacement tiller? :? I don't have the original to make a copy of, so I need measurements from an original or correct replacement.
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

Postby Phill » Fri May 09, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi,
My original wood Oday tiller from my 1966 DS1 is 53" total length.
This measurement includes the part were the tiller connects to the rudder head to just beyond the aft edge of the rudder head.

The tiller (aluminum tube) I now use is at the lake, but when mounted comes to about 9" aft of the Centerboard trunk. A little tight for tacking, but good angle for control.

Hope this helps.
Phill

Postby Donal » Sat May 10, 2008 11:45 am

The tiller I have now is very roughly shaped, so I can only estimate what it's supposed to look like.
Without an actual pattern, I think I can use a full set of measurements to replicate it. How deep & wide is the slot? What is the total width at the aft end? Is the thickness even throughout the whole length, or does is narrow down for the handle section? Where does the taper start and stop as measured from the aft end? What is the width of the handle section and is it perfectly round or oblong?

Wow, is that too much to ask?

Thanks for the help, guys.
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

Postby calden » Sat May 10, 2008 12:12 pm

Donal:

Send me your email and I'll send you a PDF drawing with measurements. Easier than trying to describe it in words.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby Donal » Sat May 10, 2008 7:23 pm

PM sent.

Thanks, Carlos :D
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

Thanks, Carlos

Postby Donal » Sun May 11, 2008 2:10 am

I got the new tiller roughed out tonight, thanks to the diagram Carlos sent.
Notice the difference in length? Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

It will get it stained to match this piece from the same board. I think it's alder (edit:my brother saw it yesterday and said it's poplar).
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

Tiller length

Postby Donal » Mon May 12, 2008 11:34 am

I'm wondering if a previous owner shortened the tiller because the boat is set up with a mid-boom mainsheet block.

The next thing I should probably do is mock up where the tiller will sit, and make sure there is still room to maneuver in the cockpit.

Again, any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages to different tiller lengths would be appreciated...and where to mount my tiller extension.
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

Postby adam aunins » Mon May 12, 2008 11:48 am

I'm sure you know this but I'm throwing it out there anyways.

It is real easy to cut a piece of wood ,that's to long, shorter.

It's real hard to make a piece of wood, that's to short, longer!

I would go long and then cut it back to what works for you, after a few sails. As for tiller extensions I like to set them back far enough for there to be enough tiller in front to hold on to when not using the extension.
adam aunins

Postby calden » Mon May 12, 2008 11:54 am

Donal:

Here's a picture of my boat (prior to refinishing the coamings and such) with a clear indication of the mainsheet location on the cb trunk and the boom. My full-length tiller that I sent you plans for does not interfere with the mainsheet at this length.

Carlos

DS I #1653
calden

Return to Repair and Improvement