Electrical System for Daysailer II

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Electrical System for Daysailer II

Postby rrcrazy » Wed May 28, 2008 2:05 pm

Hey everyone,

I have been reading on and off about people having different electrical systems on their boats to run electric motors, radios, lights, GPS, etc. However, I've really not seen anything specific about what to do, what kind of battery to get, etc.

I can tell you this. I'm looking to put navigation lights on, as well as maybe some interior lights in the cuddy, a new lighted compass, and really, truly, my Sirius satellite radio.

Any thoughts on what I need in the way of a battery would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Dan Mejak
Columbus, Ohio
Fleet 98
The Zebra Mussel Fleet
rrcrazy

Postby algonquin » Wed May 28, 2008 11:26 pm

I am in the process of adding nav lights, bilge pump, and cd player/radio to my DS1. In the past I have used a low buck car battery with no problem. The battery should be secured in its own plastic box, available at most retail places that have boating supplies. I plan to mount the battery box low in the hull just forward of the mast step. The extra ballast from the battery should work to add stability to the boat. I am using a 6 switch marine electrical panel that I bought at a marine outlet store for about $30. This forms the basis of the project. I am also adding some auxiliary cockpit lighting just in case I am out after dark.

You can buy small solar panel battery chargers for under $35 that will keep the battery charged up. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby albanysailer » Thu May 29, 2008 5:26 pm

I just got a 55lb thrust motor for my DSII, and a 12v 115 ah deep cycle battery. I too am planning on mounting the battery box just forward of the mast.

Brad-How do you plan on running your wiring? Any pictures?

Did you screw your box straight into the hull?

-Bill
albanysailer

I added an electrical system to my DS II

Postby Roger » Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 pm

The system included a deep cycle battery in a battery box strapped down to two strap cleats forward of the mast. The battery was maintained by a 5 watt solar charger mounted on the cuddy roof. This system ran nav lights, a compass light, an interior cuddy light, a bilge pumb, and 12 volt outlet for my GPS, VHF portable radio, and other gadgets. Wiring to the aft light was run under the seat. Inspection ports in the cuddy, and mid ship under the traveller facilitated the wiring. A fish tape was also of great assistance. The lights and 12 volt outlet were all switched and fused. The solar panel was wired hot to the battery.

I have pictures of various components. e-mail me at roger02 att mts dott net requesting which details you would like to see.
Roger

Battery Mount in DS II

Postby EberbachD » Sat May 31, 2008 12:46 pm

I mounted my deep cycle battery forward of the mast and secured it with three strips of 2” Velcro between the Cuddy floor and the battery box. I strapped it to the mast as well, but it hasn't moved yet. I used conduit to run the wire to the back for the motor and ran it along the floor channel. It makes it harder to clean, but much easier than cutting holes. I put a connection box on the transom (also Velcro) to connect the motor clips to power. I'll attempt to link photos.

Battery
Electric run along floor
Connection box for motor
David
DS II #10445
Grinnell, Iowa
EberbachD

Electric Motor Question

Postby rrcrazy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:33 pm

Thanks for the tips on the electrical system. It now looks like I'll be installing something for next year.

We are looking into buying an electric motor because we have now had two occasions this summer where we needed to paddle to or from a launch site. When the wind is pushing you around, this becomes difficult to say the least. And my wife says she will no longer paddle this beast.

So any recommendations on an electric motor for a DSII? We sail mostly inland lakes, though I see a time in the future where we would need to get in and out of one or two of the Great Lakes.

Thanks again!

Dan
rrcrazy

Postby algonquin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:54 am

There have been mixed reviews on this site as to the effectiveness of an electric motor when sustained winds and wave conditions become a problem. You would be much better off with a 3 to 5hp gas outboard. Tons of more torque than an electric and much better for navigating larger bodies of water like you plan to sail. I use an old 1969 Clinton 3.5 hp short shaft engine that I picked up at a yard sale for$35. It runs strong for days on very little gas. Check the for sale adds over the winter and maybe put out a wanted add. You should be motoring by next season. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby albanysailer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:36 am

Dan-

I installed a MinnKota 55lb. thrust electric motor on my DS II this summer, it has worked great for me so far. But, as Brad stated, in strong current and or wind situations it wouldn't work out so good.

I sail on inland lakes, and only had trouble once with trying to motor into about a 15knt. headwind. Otherwise it has been fine, with good range, and on high speed it moves us at about 3knts.

I love not having to deal with gasoline, and the fumes and noise that come with it. The electric is whisper quiet, does not heat up, lightweight, and easy to take off and put in the back of the car for transport.

Total cost including motor, battery, 6ga. cables, battery box, pvc pipe to run the cables in, etc. was around $550.00.

Hope this helps with your decision. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

-Bill
albanysailer

Postby persephone » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:27 pm

Hello,
Just reading through the posts, thought I might have some helpful info to add.
I am a mechanic, work on old european cars. I have made from scratch several complete automobile wiring harnesses.
My thoughts are about wire size vs. length and load. You will want to check the amperage load of your motor and measure how far the battery will be from the motor (the path the cable will take) to determine the necessary wire size to minimize voltage drop. If the cable is too small this might decrease the power going to your motor, or in extreme cases to wire meltdown. For example a 50 amp load traveling 24 feet (round trip batt motor batt) will loose .975 volts through a 6 gauge wire (in a 12v system). This site has a voltage drop calculator. http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
I don't have handy any information on acceptable drop, I would think a 1/4 volt or less would be good.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

battery booster cables

Postby Roger » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:36 pm

I used battery booster cables to run between the battery and motor. I also used a marine master switch inside the locked cuddy to open the circuit.
Roger

Return to Repair and Improvement