mast step/support wood block

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

mast step/support wood block

Postby surfnsail24 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:22 am

I'm not sure what the proper term is but I'm trying to figure out either WHAT WOOD TYPE or WHAT OTHER MATERIAL I should use to replace the rotted out piece of wood that was under the pole inside of the cubby (that helps stabilize the mast). This is for a '76 DS II.

I was thinking of teak BUT I know how much care it takes. I thought maybe a good treated cedar block might smell nice and hold up too. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!
surfnsail24

Postby persephone » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Not sure which type of wood would make a good replacement. My initial thought was a polymer or plastic of some type. I've worked with delrin, great for making smaller parts or spacers however you need a machinist to get a finished piece. If you google it there's a wiki on it for more info. The advantage of a material of this type is stability (thermal, liquid exposure etc...).
Hope this helps.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby calden » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:27 pm

You could glue up some pieces of marine plywood to the right size and then paint it with epoxy. If you use slow-setting epoxy and heat the wood first with a heat gun it will soak up the epoxy. The heat will also make the epoxy runnier and it will soak into the wood more.

That would be one honkin' chunk of wood, I'll tell ya. Very similar to a piece of plastic in durability.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Repair and Improvement