Newbie: Daysailer Restoration Project

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby sirk98 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:30 am

I will be down at the house this weekend and will get some more pics of the inside and also get some measurements.

Thanks guys!
--Kris
sirk98

Postby sirk98 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi all,

At this point, I had someone knowledgeable in fiberglass repair help me get her on blocks, and give us some advice on where to begin our repairs.

He has pretty much talked me out of popping the deck off the boat. I was willing to go for a complete (though budget conscious) restore before today, but now I think I will follow the advice I have been hearing: do enough so the boat is safe and looks OK but no more.

The reason I have come to this conclusion is that there is a poorly executed patch on the rear of the boat (port side) where the patch juts out from the hull a good 1/8th inch. As is seems solid, that (coupled with all the other work that needs to be done) just makes a "perfect" job impractical.

That said, I DO want to make my repairs as strong as possible. The first two items on the punch list: (1) the wooden support for the mast and (2) the soft spot where the boat was sitting on the bunks on the trailer for years.

For item #1, I had no idea the wood was rotted (it was under water when I looked at the boat). Now, it seems that I have to lower the centerboard, remove the winch (wheel anyway). and cut out the two side pieces and any blocks in there. My question is (I wish I would have gotten a picture of this): OK, assuming I can get the pieces off in relatively good shape and use them as a template, what about where the posts attach to the centerboard part of the hull? What if that is rotted out? What do I do then (besides bum out *grin*)?

For item #2: the guy who came out has convinced me that—while popping the deck out and fixing this from the inside it the “right” thing to do, it is more work than it is worth. He suggested getting something to act as a filler (marine grade bondo, if there is such a thing), and fiberglassing right over it—from the outside. Any suggestions here? Is there something I can use as a filler? Bondo gets me nervous under the water line… I cant see any way to get this fixed from the inside, so all advice is welcome here!

This post is becoming epic… I’ll put the requested pics of the seats and deck in my next post

Thanks all (especially Brad!!!)
--Kris
sirk98

Postby sirk98 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:29 pm

Here are the pics of the cockpit/ seating area(think I figured out the resize now, too!):

--Kris
sirk98

Postby algonquin » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:04 pm

As long as the area to be repaired or patched is sanded or ground down to some old fresh fiberglass your new repair should adhere to it without any problems. I would suggest using a fiberglass type Bondo product that has fiber glass mesh strands already in it. If you can try to adhere some new material on the inside of the areas to be repaired before putting on the external repair. The Bondo should be available at places like Walmart or any auto parts chain store.

Your boat should sail very well. Good design and lots of crew room. Any further info as to what make it is ? I am still thinking it may be a very early Flying Scot but can’t confirm yet.

BTW - Did you take some measurements ? Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby sirk98 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:03 am

I forgot to measure :-( I asked my brother in law, but he hasnt gotten back to me... It will likely be about 3 weeks before I can get down there again

Will let you know once I get the measurements (incidentally, the guy who came down also couldnt find the HIN. I guess I should count myself lucky I have a title!
--Kris
sirk98

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement